should I upgrade my stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I just know that will be beautiful when finished...glad you got it..pretty too..clancey
Thanks
It is a manual light but can be updated to auto light. I have done that a few times. :)

Not refinished but kept up very well. The lady said a guy called right after me and said if I did not show up, then he would come get it right away! So it was a lucky day! :cool:
Oh I meant are YOU going to refinish it

Oh I meant are YOU going to refinish it
Oh, I just checked it out and it looks like the firebox will need some VHT flame proof ultra high temperature paint which I do.
The motors are nice and quiet and it cranks the heat!!!
Everything else looks good and it works like new! See pics!

DFA8A4D0-7E88-4EC6-9F0B-E15511357D55.jpeg 1F36DFF5-CEA9-40A4-9099-BB8ECC571067.jpeg

Great find, always have my eyes open for cheap Harman to fix up

That's a big looking flame is that normal? clancey

That flame is fine. Looks like it was just getting going after being lit and it's burning off the starting fluid (he said it is manual light). Even if it had been running a while, if you run a P61 on full bore, it has a big flame and it is fine.

Reactions: Washed-Up
My big issue is maintaining the RH in the winter and I go through a huge amount of bottled water as our well water contains so much minerals, it fouls the humidifier in short order. Far as 'poping the pot goes, it don't pop, it lifts out. It sits in a metal cradle and isn't secured in any way other than gravity.

Like I said, with welding gloves on, hot swapping is easy.
Do you have an OAK? Using connected outside air is said to remedy dry indoor air when using a fuel burning device as heat.

Always have had an outside air kit installed. Really makes no difference as the heated air drives off the humidity anyway. One thing I do notice using outside air for combustion is, when it's really bitter cold out (and the outside air piping is getting frosted on the outside) is I get a harder burn in the stove and have to back down the combustion air a bit.

Not enough. I live just south of Washington DC and my last two homes have had heat pumps. They are/were relatively new, my current home's oldest unit is 5 years old. I'd have to double check, but they are of average, if not slightly above average efficiency. They suck at keeping my home affordably heated, not to mention comfortably heated. During the three coldest months, overnight temps are consistently in the mid to low 30s. We have times where we are in the mid to low 20s or below. Day time highs might be around 45. The colder it is, the longer they run and the less comfortable the house is.

Our electric bill was really high before I got the woodstove going - we moved into current house this past January.

I don't doubt you can get units more efficient than what I have, but that's going to be at significantly higher cost than 5k installed and I'm confident that they won't be great as a source of primary heat.

From https://www.weather-atlas.com/en/maine-usa-climate:
"November to February, during the winter, is generally the worst time to visit Maine.
The night temperatures often drop to 0°F (-17.8°C) and sometimes even below, while the day temperatures are around the freezing 32°F (0°C) during the peak of the cold season. Maine winters are cold even during the day as the sun disappears for long hours, sometimes even for days."

And from https://www.maineenergyfacts.com/heat-pumps/:
"Still, heat pumps are simply not ideal for climates like ours."
There are different types of heat pumps. The ones that go down to --15 will be efficient down to -15. The ones that go to 45 will be efficient to 45.

Reactions: SidecarFlip