Should my cap look like this?????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Markie123

Jan 12, 2018
Orange,Ct
tomorrow will be a full week that I'm burning my voyageur Grand. should my cap on my pipe look like this. thank for your replys
20180206_074726.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Was it brand new ? Burning it for 1 week?

Looks like an old cap. Was a previous cap there recycled? Is the cap galvanized?

It's an old cap, but it doesn't look plugged. Of course, it could be gunked up on the inside in a way that's not visible in the photo.

It definitely has mesh in it, so keep an eye on it.

There’s no reason to think it’s an old cap. It just looks like you’ve been using it... it’s normal.

tomorrow will be a full week that I'm burning my voyageur Grand. should my cap on my pipe look like this. thank for your replys
View attachment 222596
It just looks like some rust due to wet weather and a hot stove as long as it's still there I wouldn't fret

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

It's a brand new cap and I thought it was stainless steel. I've only burned it for a week so far. Attached are the installation Parts the installer used. Could you guys tell me if it's stainless steel or galvanized. Also another picture from a different angle. Thank you again for all your input.
Screenshot_20180208-111319.png 20180208_074826.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This shot is a bit better. I color corrected and lightened the image to see it better and agree with Webby3650 that it looks normal and like stainless from this angle.
20180208_074826.jpg