Shoulder season in December?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We've had a few days here and there where I could let the fire go out . . . but for the most part I've been burning 24/7 now for some time.

Same here. I've been only burning junk wood, uglies, and setting my good stuff aside. We had a few nights in the teens, but it's mild again. 56 and not even freezing over night. I've got an ample supply of junk wood, so no complaints.

Wife wrote a nastygram and left it on the kitchen table this morning.

"Don't add more wood to stove. It was too hot last night"

Drat.

Shoulder season? Last Friday the neighbor told me she was running the AC.

Friend of mine predicts that a warm late fall is going to make for an exceptionally cold mid-winter.

Its hard to get the knack of things on my rookie year with warm temps...

I only have about a cord of cottonwood left then I can move on to some real wood.

the thing I have figured out about cottonwood, its predictable.

I'm still golfing - playing again tomorrow and the 10 day forecast here has high temps in the 40's every day.

Shoulder season is tough. I seem to over heat the house when temp get around 40 yet still need a fire.
I started doing about 1/3 to 1/4 loads of wood in the stove & running on low.
Then in the morning, I could throw a few splits in & get the house warm pretty quick.
Still I had to open doors & windows when it got to hot inside.
You all are getting a good learning curve done for shoulder season burning, maybe you'll get winter next month.

Got wood: "I’m still golfing - playing again tomorrow" :p

If my memory is correct, this will be the first green Christmas we've seen since 2001 or 2002. Of course we were in Yuma, AZ at the time...

47 here today,42 right now.High of 34 expected tommorow.May see an inch or two overnight through tommorow afternoon if forecast holds.It wont be sticking around because the weekend is calling for temps near 40 with sunshine.From 2007-10 there was several inches snow on the ground at Christmas time,nothing out there now though.

rayg said:
Wife wrote a nastygram and left it on the kitchen table this morning.

"Don't add more wood to stove. It was too hot last night"

Drat.
No nastygrams here... she tells me to my face and follows it up with "the look". >:-(

This is beyond shoulder season in my opinion... Yesturday I kept the stove going by throwing in a few super small splits just to keep the stove going. Last night I decided to let it go out because the overnight low was going to be around 45 and it was 75 inside. This morning the stove sits cold and it was 68 in the house. We'll hit mid 50's today on the first day of Winter. Tonights lows will be around freezing so I'll have to get the stove going tonight.

Something tells me we are going to pay for this down the road...

My stove is going cold, and although Christmas is in three days I am not going to bother relighting it until maybe tonight, maybe tomorrow. I figure there will be a fire in the stove on Christmas Eve no matter what the weather is like. Part of the magic of Santa is when he comes down a chimney despite a fire, and I don't want to ruin Christmas! If I have to leave a window open will Santa come in that way instead?

I'm actually hoping for warm overnight temps Christmas night as we'll be out of town and I really don't want to use much oil while we are gone.

stejus said:
Something tells me we are going to pay for this down the road...

You're probably right. January will probably be especially brutal.

Status
Not open for further replies.