Show Us Your Wood Shed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
what harm can befall if any scab fails? it's just wood :-D
The threshold to sanity is when he starts figuring the actual volume of the shed itself, in his CSS'd cords calculations. ;lol Burn the wood, then the shed!

Reactions: ctreitzell
The threshold to sanity is when he starts figuring the actual volume of the shed itself, in his CSS'd cords calculations. ;lol Burn the wood, then the shed!
the fasteners alone ...they we prolly freebies too :)

yeah, me too
got some sheds to build...and best consider building a barn
but I'm a carpenter
allergic wood stretching

90% of that wood came from the power equipment company down the street. They get mowers, tractors, snowblowers etc shipped in crates. Most of the wood seems to be Oak. Real PIA to hammer stuff into. Had to drill pilot holes as I do not have a nail gun.

allergic wood stretching
Agreed. Time is money, and scarfed joints require a post beneath. I won't hate on anyone working with the materials they have, but I'd rather save my time (and support posts) and just buy the lengths I need!

90% of that wood came from the power equipment company down the street. They get mowers, tractors, snowblowers etc shipped in crates. Most of the wood seems to be Oak. Real PIA to hammer stuff into. Had to drill pilot holes as I do not have a nail gun.
I pilot EVERYTHING

I use screws so much more often than nails

It can be expensive, BUT we always buy a big Trade box of Reisser cutter screws when they are on sale

Agreed. Time is money, and scarfed joints require a post beneath. I won't hate on anyone working with the materials they have, but I'd rather save my time (and support posts) and just buy the lengths I need!
The wife already thinks I spend too much time and effort on 'Wood'. So saying I am going to drop a couple of hundred on Materials for a wood shed was a non-starter. Sure I would have loved to have brand new materials that I could cut to length, but it was either this or just continuing to stack on pallets. The problem with the latter is I was running out of places to put pallets to stack on. So a shed where I could stack higher without the potential of a collapsing pile was in order. It has stood up to an 11" snowfall and a wind storm with 40+ MPG gusts. I will admit that I did buy a tarp to cover the wood on the roof. (I know not ideal but it only cost me $30 for it and the materials to fasten it)

Reactions: BillBurns
I find nothing wrong with using tarp. Is it a pain the neck to using tarps, yeah sometimes, like winter. But for those with limited money, resources, and space, you gotta do what ya can.

Reactions: Ashful
I find nothing wrong with using tarp. Is it a pain the neck to using tarps, yeah sometimes, like winter. But for those with limited money, resources, and space, you gotta do what ya can.
Agreed that you gotta do what you gotta do, for now. But if burning wood for heat is going to be a fixture in your life, the end goal should be a shed. One of the most common posts on this forum, is members who finally built their own shed, hating themselves for not doing it sooner.

I guess I have to have a shed after almost 40 years of not having one.

And that's what folks say who haven't experienced one.

:)

Of course not. Your choice.

But we don't see folks who did build one "well, shoot, this sucks and was not worth it". Instead it is the opposite: "wow, fantastic, totally worth it, should have done this 49 years ago".

Reactions: Ashful
Just for clarification, since my shed is made from scrounged pieces, the roof was not leak proof. The Tarp is covering the roof of the shed to help keep the water out. Have other piles with tarps, and yes it is a PIA to keep them on while still providing access to the wood. Last year I cobbled together what could be best described as wood bins. Bottom pallets with Side/Back pallets added.Tarps still used as covers, but I will slowly start to add roofs to these.

Filled the shed. Still have some room, but since all of this wood was CSS approximately the same time, will leave it as it. Sun hits it at about 8:30 AM and should be on it most of the day.

shed_cmp.jpeg

View attachment 326119
I just started my shed, which was my first time building anything like this. It's going to take some time as I only live there part-time. When finished, it will be 6x16.
What is your roof angle? You want to make sure you don't get a big snow buildup in the winter?

Had some leftover materials from building the Frankenstein Shed, so I decided to put a roof on one of the other wood bins. It is basically 3 pallets nailed together with pallets for sides and separator. The back was strips of lumber nailed to vertical posts attached to the pallets. Now I have a mini-shed. Figuring it will hold about a cord. Since the roof is cobbled together pieces of shipping crates a $10 Tarp from Harbor Freight is providing protection from the rain.

bin.jpeg