Show Us Your Wood Shed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Don't know what she holds. If I was doing it over I wouldn't have added the floor. I added blocks to support the weight. I rotate outside racks for one or two seasons to the shed for the last before burning.
Looks like it should hold alot. Multiply length x width x height of stacks(in feet) and divide by 128 to find out how many cords it holds.

Here is my wood shed along with an interior shot. It was originally built on concrete blocks, some of which have sunken so sometime in the next decade, I will pull it apart and rebuild on concrete footings pinned to the bedrock below.

Attachments

• Cabin'16-12 014.JPG
    Cabin'16-12 014.JPG
    261.2 KB · Views: 803
  • Cabin'20-09a 015.JPG
    Cabin'20-09a 015.JPG
    250.5 KB · Views: 808
I had a Mahoning for almost ten years before it died. I replaced it with a Heatmaster G200. This wood shed is a multi use structure: wood shed, generator shed (10K diesel hard wired to house), and pool changing room, with a full upstairs for storage.

The footprint is 24x30. 16x30 is enclosed. 8x30 is the wood storage portion, with a full roof and side walls, with the entire 30' face open (I spliced two 14" I beams together), and a door about 5' away from stove door to access the wood pile. I've got some finish work and staining to do, but it is substantially complete. It cost more than I expected (lumber prices keep climbing), but so far I'm pleased with it.

Attachments

• shed east.jpg
    shed east.jpg
    240.2 KB · Views: 720
  • shed west.jpg
    shed west.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 673
  • shed inside 2.jpg
    shed inside 2.jpg
    241.2 KB · Views: 648
  • shed interior.jpg
    shed interior.jpg
    237 KB · Views: 649
  • shed, second floor.jpg
    shed, second floor.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 673
I have an area under the sunroom on the back of the house that I'm using for my woodshed. It's under cover and gets wind and sun. Holds 3 stacks about 11' 9" long and 5' tall. I used the cord calculator and came up with about 1.71 cords but I rounded the stack length down to 11' and used a depth (split length) of 16" to be conservative. Split length varies from about 14" to about 21". My stove takes a max 18" log loading N-S and a max 22" log loading E-W. Access is convenient, as it's right at the bottom of the stairs from the deck:
IMG_20201209_152411.jpg
This is from about a month ago when I had just gotten started splitting and stacking. The back row and middle row are both sugar maple that the town cut along the road in the summer of 2019.
IMG_20201215_162910.jpg

The front stack is half cherry on the left and half ash on the right with a few pieces of apple mixed in.
IMG_20210101_124211.jpg

I still have a lot more log length wood that I need to CSS and I plan to either build another woodshed, or just stack it on pallets and cover it with metal roofing panels. When I put a new roof on my 30' X 60' garage last winter, I saved a bunch of the old roof panels which are 16' long. Perfect for covering a wood pile.

It's a work in progress that I built earlier in the year. 16x8 footprint and about a 7' ceiling. All in I think it cost me somewhere around $100 to build this, the roof is recycled panels from popup buildings used at a local school. It's at a 10 degree angle so it does shed water downhill, but takes the brunt of a snow load. In the spring I plan on reinforcing the roof with full length 16' 2x4s, but right now it's holding a solid foot of snow no problem.

I don't have a current photo, but it was about 50% full of red oak from 2019 before the fire season started.

1609887013127.png

Is that just bent plastic conduit? Simple and looks good. Curious how it holds up to the wind and snow. I'm still looking for a permanent place for my stacks and or shed build, but I like that idea to get my stacks under cover in the mean time.
1/2" PVC conduit. It is flimsy but keeps the tarp off the wood for airflow and drainage.

If the snow collapses it and breaks the conduit, it's an easy fix.
I used 1" conduit to make 7" "stake pockets" on the platform.

The tarp is from HF so it's flimsy and easily replaceable too.
Tarp is lashed to the platform on the sides at every grommet and has handled some pretty decent wind so far.
We'll see if the UV gets to it or it tears, but so far it looks ok. I'm hoping the tarp will last 12 months.

5x12x7' tall, which is what would fit on my small urban lot given the setbacks. It faces the street so I tried to make it reasonably attractive. In theory it should hold about 3 cords, but my plan is to put about 1+ cord on each side with space in the middle for kindling etc, take wood from one side, and let the other side age. The center opening faces my side door, so I can grab a load in bad weather without being exposed to the weather for more than a couple of steps.

Floor is free pallets (36x54, and apparently made of red oak? They held some massive industrial cargo, apparently). Siding is PT fence pickets that were on deep discount. Roof may need snow guards - the kids like to play around it and the snow cones off all at once.

Attachments

• 20210204_161002.jpg
    20210204_161002.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 589
  • 20210205_161824.jpg
    20210205_161824.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 492
  • 20210205_161749.jpg
    20210205_161749.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 529
5x12x7' tall, which is what would fit on my small urban lot given the setbacks. It faces the street so I tried to make it reasonably attractive. In theory it should hold about 3 cords, but my plan is to put about 1+ cord on each side with space in the middle for kindling etc, take wood from one side, and let the other side age. The center opening faces my side door, so I can grab a load in bad weather without being exposed to the weather for more than a couple of steps.

Floor is free pallets (36x54, and apparently made of red oak? They held some massive industrial cargo, apparently). Siding is PT fence pickets that were on deep discount. Roof may need snow guards - the kids like to play around it and the snow cones off all at once.
That looks great. Nice use of space for sure. Should make your trips to get wood short and the wood dry.

Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: valleyfire
Wish I could find some used metal here. I'll have to break down and pick some up at Lowe's or Home Depot. Still scanning the FB market place tough.
I happened to drive past a couple old barns several years ago they were tearing down and gave $5 for it all. Works well because it keeps the sides open for air and drying.

Old sign posts I use to keep it off the ground. I’m out of those, so going to buy some treated 2x4s and make a frame rail that will sit on either cinder blocks or the solid 4” blocks to keep the bottoms row off the ground. I tried roadway fabric on the bottom row, which is better than being directly on the ground, but still gets a little wet and rotted. Got to keep the air underneath for sure.

Attachments

• A6F8BAA1-8561-4AE7-9D49-2473ADC07E3E.jpeg
    A6F8BAA1-8561-4AE7-9D49-2473ADC07E3E.jpeg
    350.3 KB · Views: 595
Looks like it should hold alot. Multiply length x width x height of stacks(in feet) and divide by 128 to find out how many cords it holds.
Hi, the single axles hold 12 1/2 cord, The tandem axles (40 foot trailers holds 16 cords.