Show Us Your Wood Shed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Tomorrow we will start the wood shed and it is going to be a smaller one and about 24 inches coming straight out and about 48 inches in width with 4 deck blocks holding up a slanted roof away from my fence so that I can get a lawn mower in the back of it. Would like to get some of those pallets too but this depends on someone driving to the place to get the pallets and will take a picture of it when it is finished.
Thanks everyone for you help and suggestions with this endeavor.. Working hard here and i figure if I need more space for more wood I can add on to it as I go along..thanks everyone..clancey

Reactions: stoveliker
This is my first firewood shed I built. Moved into a new home this year and planning on getting a wood insert so I wanted to make a nice sturdy home for all the new firewood I'm acquiring. I also made a build video for those who are into that kind of thing.

IMG_4666.jpg

If you are a good carpenter, and you want to get red oak down to 17 percent moisture in 8 months, build a replica of my non-ventilated wood shed.
IMG_4510 (2).JPG

IMG_9042.jpg
IMG_9044.jpg

Just finished the woodshed this afternoon. 18 feet wide by 6 feet deep. 8 feet tall in front sloping to 6 feet tall in back. Should fit around 5 cords, so about a season's worth of wood. Can't wait to not have to mess with tarps this winter.

View attachment 281654View attachment 281655
Just finished the woodshed this afternoon. 18 feet wide by 6 feet deep. 8 feet tall in front sloping to 6 feet tall in back. Should fit around 5 cords, so about a season's worth of wood. Can't wait to not have to mess with tarps this winter.

Nice! I did the same this year: built and filled it (18'*8' with 7.5' tall in front, 6.5' in the back). Feels good.

IMG_20210906_151358933_HDR.jpg

This is very close to a design I was considering. What dimensions? How deep? Do you have a middle row of support posts?
16 wide by 6 feet deep. 8 feet tall in front and 6 feet tall in back. No middle row, not deep enough to need it. i over built it as it is

Two years ago I built a small greenhouse as my wife was all excited about starting some seeds early for our garden. But she has been slowing down some so this year the greenhouse is now holding some of our firewood. It works well as a kiln as it gets nice and toasty inside. I keep the windows cracked for ventilation. I just put a cord in this week but it will hold maybe two and half cords in without totally blocking the glass. This is my first year using wood in this home. I was told by the guys I purchased my firewood from that most people go through about three cords in this area. Oh yes you can see my septic tank lid in the picture as I put an extension on my tank so I don't have to dig for it all the time.

Green House.jpg Front.jpg

Super basic shed. It’s oak pallets for the floor, elevated off the ground using bricks with weed mat underneath to prevent weeds.
23’ long, 3’ deep, 6.5’ high under the rafters at one end and 5’ high at the low end. Salvaged cedar 2x6 rafters, plywood roof deck, and tin roofing. Cost was $0 - everything was a leftover or salvaged. It’s open on all sides plus the elevated floor & space between the rafters allows for good airflow. I've also left a gap between the rows of splits to allow drying between them.

The metal shed next to it is ~5.5’ from the south edge of our property (the fence) so I built the shed in the gap to get southern exposure all year and utilize the requisite 5’ setback. Neighbor is fine with it.

Edit: Fixed image rotation
1end_wall.jpeg
2rafters.jpeg
3roof_deck.jpeg
4roof_tin.jpeg
5wood_splits.jpeg

Last edited:
That's a nice economical wood shed...made out of those crates that they ship thing in--good for you and the roof is nice too...I did one of those with my 2 crates and put a roof on it just like you for my left over wood..new at this...clancey

I hear ya - I’m new at this, too. This is my third shed on this property. The first was made of six 7’x32” pallets. Two were the base, and the others were attached to the base and formed an A-frame (Two pallets per side of the roof). Worked well to keep the water off, but wasn’t big enough and the air flow was poor. next season I raised the roof ~40” so it looked more like a house with vertical walls and a steep roof That one held ~2 cords. Finally dismantled it last weekend and extended my 10’ rack with the two strongest pallets and re-used the roofing. This holds ~3 cords. It’s a ways from the house though, so I’ll build a small storage shed near the garage door to hold a week‘s worth of wood.

That sounds like a good idea to get it closer to the house...I am looking for some pictures I took to share with you my pallets and the roof I put on top just for the extra wood...I guess I did not take a picture of that particular piece but I do have a picture of my wood shed that is 1/2 full now with wood ready for my first light on Oct 28 and my stove installer will do it for me..I am going to use oak that is kilned dried and 16 inches long..A new experience for me and other people can not wait until I light it but I can wait 20 years if I have to not really thrilled about this yet but just installed the stove for a emergency if the grid goes down or something.. Maybe I will learn to like this affair in time. Silly isn't it but I am glad you joined this nice forum and I like your sheds and yes move one closer to the house for more convenience..Found the picture..old mrs clancey

wood shed finished 002.JPG tomato plant and wood shed 004.JPG

That sounds like a good idea to get it closer to the house...I am looking for some pictures I took to share with you my pallets and the roof I put on top just for the extra wood...I guess I did not take a picture of that particular piece but I do have a picture of my wood shed that is 1/2 full now with wood ready for my first light on Oct 28 and my stove installer will do it for me..I am going to use oak that is kilned dried and 16 inches long..A new experience for me and other people can not wait until I light it but I can wait 20 years if I have to not really thrilled about this yet but just installed the stove for a emergency if the grid goes down or something.. Maybe I will learn to like this affair in time. Silly isn't it but I am glad you joined this nice forum and I like your sheds and yes move one closer to the house for more convenience..Found the picture..old mrs clancey

View attachment 282911 View attachment 282912
Great simple shed! They look less janky or… “shabby chic” than mine

SP...I got some updated pictures on my wood shed and extra storing...took them today..clancey
My tomato plant is still going crazy and it has about 14 more tomato's on it...and they are getting red...Gosh so many tomato's this year and I wonder if this is normal for a plant. lol--I stopped feeding it my special food...lol..clancey

updated wood shed pictures 10-07-21 001.JPG updated wood shed pictures 10-07-21 006.JPG

OK, for some reason I feel compelled to share!
in homesteader fashion, this is a "whats available" woodshed. I inherited a 10X12 Quonset style building - I had to haul it home and set it up - was a fun show with it on 4- 12' 6x6 across my trailer deck, going about a mile down the road. was just a tube then, no ends on it.
it is vented 1" across the bottom on this (South) side - and the little roof is venting as well. our prevailing wind is out of the South, so it gets good airflow pretty much all year. I try to leave the doors open all summer, except for when it rains - since it quite often rains sideways here .
I think we are called the Pacific North Wet. I know Seattle gets more water, but not a huge amount more rainy time.
the east and west sides support it with blocks, but they are spaced a couple inches apart as well. everything on pallets inside, with almost a foot of gravel and then black plastic.
The north side has the same size opening but no doors - the goal is to setup the splitter/processing on that side with a roof over it.
this is a steel building, and 30 years old, if I remember right, it has been here for ten. steel buildings condensate, even in August here, so I have a tarp strung across it like a boy scout tent to run the drips down the sides.
I have fought to keep enough yard reserved to back the 18' flatbed trailer to the North side.
I almost never use half of this wood supply a year, as I have another shelter full of Oak that we use for the really cold times- if we get any.
Oak is also nice for the just going to bed stove load - so I have coals to start from in the morning if needed. so we do use it all of the colder part of the heating season.
this is a bit of scrounged up wood - we have a plant about 15 miles away that pressure treats a lot of things, including railroad ties - and they cut those before they treat them - and on a good day I can get a pickup load of those ends. the railroad ties are straight enough to trim to size in the chop saw! the napoleon is a little fussy about log length. I am still forgetting that at times. after 21 years with it.

this side is currently 2 year old wood, but I am behind schedule and it just got put in there late this spring. the other side is my 3 year old goodies. and looking at it - this is the pretty side this year. mostly fir and some pine - I still have some 5 year old oak to get split and finish seasoning for 2024. then maybe time to roof the (supposed to be) processing area.
I may have to fire the painter that skipped the inside of the doors........
ha, I never thought I would even take a picture of them, much less share!

woodshed1sized.jpg woodshed2sized.jpg

Wow I think that is beautiful as well as your details in the story...That reminds me of vivos xpoint , SD.. Those old ammunition bunkers...lol Oregon does get a lot of rain and you would think that you need more sunshine to offset the closeness of it all but I am far from a expert here and I am just plugging along like you are---good job...old mrs clancey

Wow I think that is beautiful as well as your details in the story...That reminds me of vivos xpoint , SD.. Those old ammunition bunkers...lol Oregon does get a lot of rain and you would think that you need more sunshine to offset the closeness of it all but I am far from a expert here and I am just plugging along like you are---good job...old mrs clancey
so, I think I read that you are getting your first fire in a new stove Oct 28? this year?
if so I hope you enjoy it!
I didn't know anything else growing up - (is that what happened?) but moving in to town to a rental that had electric heat made me very aware that there are differences! I made it a year (one winter) and have never lived without wood heat since.
Thanks for the kind words!

32 ft long, 6-7 feet high (across roof, and it is stacked to the roof) 4 feet deep. I cut my stuff at 18 inches, there are 2 rows in it. Pallets and pressure treated 2x6s and 2x4s, 22 guage metal roof. It is full now, I was still filling it in these and decided to take some pics. I am probably build a 3rd one, because I still have a lot more wood that is sitting out kinda just in a pile.

1017211138b_Film3.jpg 1017211137_Film3.jpg

The previous owners had a sort of lean-to (and I do mean sort of...) off the side of a mini barn style pre fab shed. The roof was below my chest at the low side and just above my shoulders at the high side. It held very little wood and was obviously a pain to work in even for my short wife.

So i threw this up, there's a lot of shoulda, woulda coulda and I'll do some things differently next time but It's a lot reused lumber, didn't have to buy the roofing or the screws and it will hold around 3 cords. Have some holes to patch on the roof still but we got the wood moved before this week of terential downpour hit the northwest

20211023_142055.jpg