Show Us Your Wood Shed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I’m in upstate NY, and we get a bit of snowfall. I built my woodshed with a 8/12 pitch metal roof. Hopefully it sheds snow just like the 8/12 roof on my house :)

This next winter will be it’s first real test.

And yes I agree this thread is full of great ideas. I copied some of them for my woodshed.

I’m in upstate NY, and we get a bit of snowfall. I built my woodshed with a 8/12 pitch metal roof. Hopefully it sheds snow just like the 8/12 roof on my house :)

This next winter will be it’s first real test.

And yes I agree this thread is full of great ideas. I copied some of them for my woodshed.
Yes, a bit! Metal is a good idea. maybe it won't retain snow as much as shingles.

Not a “shed” yet but will eventually get uprights and some salvaged stainless steel tin on for a roof.

4D11EAFA-DB62-4A69-97EE-1804A76AED6B.jpeg

Looks great. Size does not (always) matter!

Reactions: profdlp
This was a greenhouse with raised beds inside and slimy green vapour barrier out, painted white.
I extended the roof on the gable ends by 1', 2x4 strapping, metal roof, 1x6 fascia, eavestrough, downspouts, underground drainage etc. Just under 8x16, so 5 cords. Not terribly sunny in this location, for storing dry wood only.
C58F0744-5B53-473D-8D09-9DF58D59F935.jpeg
C0651177-1E97-48F2-A263-96286D38B1F6.jpeg

great thread, gives me lots of ideas.

does these sheds or stack of woodpiles outdoor provide a home for snakes?

where i live usually summer time there are tons of snakes around. they dont bother me, but in winter, if i go out to get some firewood, its not a pleasant experience if one jumps out when picking some from the pile.

Man you guys are fancy! I haven’t installed the wood stove yet it will be this month we are constructing the porch now so they will install the Vermont Castings Defiant Encore after we get the windows in mid-July. Anyhoo this is my weekend project, getting the wood off the ground. Using blocks underneath plastic bread trays. All free.
3F4C8CB3-9353-49B5-9898-99C2EAA75BE4.jpeg
0225CDDF-E250-4054-945C-DBFF8F3325CA.jpeg 446E4772-2842-4EA9-B454-6090A4AC282D.jpeg

Talk about fancy - wow that is fantastic! I was going to split some wood this weekend - too hot. That's a good amount of free wood.

I have a thread on this, but thought I would throw it in here too, just got it stained this weekend! Built it last November. Holds 10 cords when full.

D1DFA0C0-599B-426D-9121-BF2B26C8EEC1.jpeg

I live near Kumamoto, southern Japan.
I have a Dutchwest catalytic stove:
https://www.discountstoves.net/Majestic-Dutchwest-2462-p/maj-2462dutch.htm

This year I was lucky to get a lot of wood for free from a neighbor who cleared their land of trees.
The wood is 70% cedar, 20% chestnut, and 10% sawtooth oak. Probably about 15~16 tons in all.
The cedar will be seasoned by this coming winter; I have a tester to check the water content. The chestnut and oak I plan to use from winter 2023 going into 2024 (will be seasoned for 18-24 months by then).

I built this wood shed to store as much as I can fit in there! The remainder is stacked on plastic crates with a tarp over the top, which I take off on rain-free days. I need to put some wooden planks on the inside of the roof, because the tarp sags when we get lots of rain.
Woodshed is roughly 6m (l) x 2.5m (w) x 2.5m (h).
I use plastic crates on the ground to prevent the termites eating the wooden ones.
We get insane rain and typhoons around here during the summer and autumn, hence why it has walls on the two sides which get all the rain and wind. The air space under the wood, thanks to the crates, and the air space above the wood seem to allow a decent air flow. Haven't noticed any mold yet.

Here's a walkaround video (also showing my fruit trees!):
https://photos.app.goo.gl/YZyPFsWczziVpufRA
IMG_20220515_100602.jpgIMG_20220515_100542.jpgIMG_7698.JPG

Last edited:
For the past 14 years I've kept my firewood under a wing on my house, bad idea in today's fire season's so I finally built a two year shed and will have it filled today, which will put me at 3 plus years. The house was already full, wish it wasn't as there was already a forest fire about 4 km away.

20220801_063336.jpg

I don’t post much, but this one I will. Just the boy and me building this, we had a really good time on this one. Took a while to gather all the parts. 99% from scavenged or scrounged material. Only bought the concrete for braces. All hand rigging no machines, he learned a lot and had some very good ideas. Inside dimensions, 30’ x 11 x H. When we were stacking needing a lot of wood with everyone home we could stack tight to 8 1/2’ high and get 22 cord. Without the kids home, just the dog and me there’s no need to stack anymore. No idea how much it holds tossed in but it’s more than enough for the winter.

599A96E1-DC3E-483B-8314-11D42931B276.jpeg

Built ours a few days ago 4x8 so it holds 2 rows. needs the final trim and some paint but you all get the idea. It will be nice to not mess with tarping this winter. We are going to tarp the pile we plan on using next and go from there. Tarping will be much easier now that I can do it well and not have to worry about getting into the pile every other day. Just tarp it up nice and tight and forget about it for a month.

IMG_20220915_115941.jpg

Nothing glamorous. I'll likely need to move this in a year or two as I plan to put a garage in this spot.
Contains roughly three cords. Had two delivered noon Saturday and just finished stacking, resplit half the pieces because they arrived to big.
Good news is, I tested ten random pieces and split them did moisture test. Half were around 17 the other 21. I'm golden for awhile.

PXL_20220918_202610922.jpg