Show Us Your Wood Shed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Is the wood sitting on the ground? (can't see very well) It's better to put it on pallets (or something else) so it's off the ground.
No. I have some saplings as poles and some old Trex scrap. to keep it off the ground

Reactions: stoveliker
Some beautiful sheds, here. I indeed debated the best plan for my own for several years, as I had some constraints:

1. I had been burning a lot of wood, and processing even more than I burned, to get ahead. I was stacking 13 - 15 cords per year, and burning roughly 10, until I got sufficiently ahead. This made me want a design where I could park a splitter or front-end loader right at the stacks for processing, and then later pull a trailer or large wagon directly up to the stacks to retrieve the wood, and eliminated any design where you have to walk deep into a shed to retrieve wood.

2. My township has a permitting requirement for any shed exceeding 100 sq.ft. If I could keep the footprint below 100 sq.ft., I would not require a site permit, and would not have to argue over proximity to wetlands, runoff studies, etc.

3. It had to look as nice as reasonably possible. We live in a neighborhood of larger lots (4 - 9 acres/ea), but still no one wants to look at a mess of metal roofing scraps in their neighbors yard, when the leaves drop from the trees that isolate us every winter.

A row of smaller wood "racks" (can't legally call them "sheds" < 100 sq.ft.) of precisely 96 sq.ft. and holding 4.0 cords each was my solution. Each rack has two bays on front and two bays on back, each bay being 2 rows deep (x18") for easy reach, each bay being exactly 1 cord for easy tracking of usage. They are all placed in a neat row, so I can simply park the splitter next to the bay I'm loading, and stack right off the log catcher. Later, I pull my 2-ton farm wagon along the row to the bay from which I am pulling, and load 'er up.

Although these photos were taken when I had only completed the first three, I presently have four of these racks (plus a smaller one-cord version on high ground), for only 17 cords of storage, about half of what I used to keep stacked on pallets. It's tight, I've got logs stacked everywhere just waiting to be processed, as I've whittled my storage down from the prior 30 cords. But I have a goal to cut back on how much wood I use, and also suspect my dry time will be less in these racks than on pallets, so I'm experimenting with this reduced storage volume before building more racks. The cost of the racks was almost exactly $1k/ea before COVID, but the one built in 2021 must have close pretty close to $2k.

IMG_3762.JPG IMG_3419.JPG
IMG_2856.JPG IMG_1721.JPG

So excited...supplies are being delivered on Monday and I'm going to build an 8x12 wood shed. I'm also going to build an adjacent storage shed, so I can get some crap out of the garage and out of the weather. Photos to follow as I start next week... Been spending a lot of time on this thread looking for ideas!

27 years ago I built an 8x16 wood shed…
Many times I wished I had gone larger.
I know!

But at this point, it will handle most of my wood needs, with a separate rack or two for green wood elsewhere...
...and I'm pretty limited spacewise, so it will have to do! The storage shed is also important, so...but I could always convert it to wood storage if winters on Cape Cod suddenly get much colder!

There goes the neighborhood!

Major wood shed envy.

Mine is a little more crude than most and is in need of a more permanent roof but we haven't spent a penny yet on materials or the fire wood so pretty happy for our first attempt. Will extend the roof over the ends eventually and find time to chop the larger pieces further. Hoping most will be dry enough for next Winter:

IMG-20221008-WA0009.jpg

Crude is fine, I used nothing but pallets and plastic sheeting for many years. But what is supporting your plastic? It will sag if not atop some rigid substrate.

Reactions: Dan Freeman
Crude is fine, I used nothing but pallets and plastic sheeting for many years. But what is supporting your plastic? It will sag if not atop some rigid substrate.
It's just tacked on semi loosely at the moment, it's only for the next few days while I figure out a rigid framework to put some corrugated bitumen sheeting on at the weekend.

Had the tube frame 20 years, been a garage and storage area with 3 different skins.
Going to put a topper on it some time, gravel underneath.
This years is under the tarp. Next years is breathing and in process.
Would like to do the 4' x 4' x 4' baskets, going to look for some.
First wood burning in over 20 years, yippee!

1665678860711.png

Last edited:
Reactions: EbS-P and ispinwool
I'm lucky. But the wife gets mad it's full of wood and she can't park in there. So I tell her she can choose between cold car or cold house lol
Sounds like a good excuse to build another garage, if there ever were one. I have five here, renting a sixth, and debating building more. I hate leaving stuff outside.

• Wow
Reactions: ispinwool
Or a woodshed ...

Measured my pile tonight got rough guess of 1300 cubic ft of wood. So approx 10 cords. Think I can fit 5 more in there uf I stuff it full. Think I will burn 6 cords this year. Hopefully next year can afford to buil a lean-to nxt to garage that can hold another 15 cord. 30 cord storage is my eventual goal. That would be roughly 4 or 5 year supply

20221023_181013.jpg