Sick of my family thinking I am the local tool rental!!.......

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like it's time to change the locks to the shop and pull the keys out of the tractor. :)

I only lend stuff out to friends... they'll pay for it to get fixed

My father was the guy how could borrow most anything, then have to fix it. Just bad luck. He was a school bus mechanic by trade, and could fix most anything. He was the one that family and friends called when they had a problem, so he would have ended up working on it anyway. His group of close friends was pretty diverse, from cops to carpenters. All favors were reciprocated amongst them, so it worked out. We didn't have a whole lot for anybody else to borrow, so he traded his skills quite often.

From Shakespeare's Hamlet, 1602:
LORD POLONIUS:​
Neither a borrower nor a lender be;​
For loan oft loses both itself and friend,​
And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.​

Natge aint to bad he returned my chainsaw to me in a little better condition then it left.

okok, I got one! I had occaision to be cutting down some trees in clearing some land....red oak and maples......being an enlightened pellet burner, I had no occaision to actually burn the stuff, but I cut everything up in 18" (or so) ......then, I knew a guy down the street who actually did burn wood. I got ahold of him, told him he could have it all, he just had to go 1/4 mile up the road and pick it off the ground.......he decided he would take them, but only if I loaded them on my dump truck and delivered them to him....free, of course.....yea, that firewood rotted on the ground......

I borrow quite a bit of stuff from family, but it always gets returned in better condition that it was lent (cleaner, sharpened, adjusted, fluids changed, whatever), and full of fuel (if applicable). Before I bought my quad, I used to borrow my FIL's quite a bit. He was happy to do it but I always felt like I was using him. One day he mentioned something about it needing new tires before the winter, so I bought a set and installed them before returning it then next time. I think he rode it a few times before he noticed and said something.

If it is a big enough "borrow" I'll toss in an extra upon return. Beer is as good a cash for the guys I borrow stuff from.

After years of experiencing the same things documented here, there is only one person who can borrow anything of mine......my sons, and as you can imagine there is good reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.