Side Effects of Burning Wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The two more side effects. The first I found myself doing has to do with looking, finding, and adapting other things that help you burn wood.... Then, at the end of the season comes the physical and mental effects of "Withdrawal"...

After living two years with my Lopi fireplace insert, I love that full feel of its heat from the variable speed blowers. So, I bought a "Killl-a-Watt" meter to find out what amount of electricity the two blower motors draw. Then I bought a 400 watt, 12v to 110v inverter..... Then, I traded some boat seats I rebuilt for several golf cart deep cycle batteries. Now, when the ice and snow keeps me inside with the power out, I can still stay warm and comfortable.

The real killer is when the burning season ends. After living with a live, fire breathing, yet comforting enity for months of cold temps, I keep wanting to bring in wood and watch the flames dance in the secondary combustion zone.... As the shoulder season give way to warm temps, it takes another month to get over "Stoking the Fire" compulsion, and then feeling you've lost a friend when you touch of the lifeless stove's cold steel....

billjustbill said:
I bought a 400 watt, 12v to 110v inverter..... Then, I traded some boat seats I rebuilt for several golf cart deep cycle batteries. Now, when the ice and snow keeps me inside with the power out, I can still stay warm and comfortable.
Sweet setup! :coolsmile:

One more side effect is how many people that see your stacks ask if you sell firewood. "Um, no, that's what we will burn this year, and the next and then in 2013 & 14". Then you decide whether to go into the merits of 20% MC wood, efficiency of modern stoves, carbon footprint, etc, etc etc. (That glazed, faraway look in their eyes as you go on and on....) Heheh.

Gark said:
One more side effect is how many people that see your stacks ask if you sell firewood. "Um, no, that's what we will burn this year, and the next and then in 2013 & 14". Then you decide whether to go into the merits of 20% MC wood, efficiency of modern stoves, carbon footprint, etc, etc etc. (That glazed, faraway look in their eyes as you go on and on....) Heheh.

+1

trumpeterb said:
I know there is a lot of talk on this forum about wood burning, wood heat, etc. I too have made the switch over to an all-wood heating system. I have been heating this way for 5 years now, and my house is nice and warm in the winter. There are, however, some serious side effects of wood burning that I have experienced. If you are not willing to deal with the following side effects, please, please, please, continue to burn fossil fuels or use expensive electricity to heat your house:

Here they are, not in any specific order:

1. I have had to cancel my gym membership. That's right, the exercise I get cutting, splitting, and stacking wood provides a great deal of exercise for me, and I have experience the side effect of actually feeling healthier.

2. I have had to endure the purchase of a new refrigerator. That's right, my old one went bad, and I happened to have enough money saved up to buy a new one since I wasn't having to pay such high heating bills during winter months.

3. Isolation...you heard me....isolation. I find that I spend an awful lot of time in the woods...with my sons....cutting and hauling wood, enjoying the outdoors, watching deer, and spending quality time together...how horrible.

4. Cleaner woods. I can actually walk through the woods around my house without tripping over limbs and other debris...because I have gasified it all. How dare I do something like that.

5. Jealous neighbors. While they are paying $500 monthly electric bills, I am paying $100...for an all-electric house. I have ruined my reputation in my neighborhood.

6. A wood burning smell emanating from my house....especially when burning cherry wood. Who actually likes that?

7. Neglect. I hate to admit it, but I have neglected my TV. During burning season, I would rather watch the gasification chamber of my EKO than watch TV....unless football is on....

8. I have also had the unfortunate experience of having the chance to teach my sons about various tree species, wildlife, etc. They have actually learned something while working in the woods, and a good work ethic is at the top of that list. Terrible.

9. Hoarding. I am a hoarder. I stockpile wood all year long, and I refuse to get rid of any of it...it just keeps accumulating. Maybe they will make a TV show about people like me....not that I would watch it anyway....I'll be starring at the gasification chamber.

10. I get into hot water a lot. Every day, actually. The boiler heats my domestic water for free, and I use it at will and never run out.

Again, these side effects are serious and may cause a change in your lifestyle. If you cannot handle them, please do not heat with wood....

Feel free to add any other "side effects" that you may have experienced to this thread.

6. A wood burning smell emanating from my house….especially when burning cherry wood. Who actually likes that?

This is one of my favorites you have listed. I love having that smell coming from my house. I have 3 neighbors that burn wood and I always loved walking out my door and smelling wood burning in the air. Gave me a warm feeling on the inside knowing these neighbors had a nice fire going to keep them warm on a cold day. I smelled burning cherry wood for the first time the other day and it was amazing. I guy I was buying wood from was burning it in his fire pit and I could not beleive how good it smelled. He was selling cords of just cherry for 50$ more than the regular cords, for people who use it for smoking. I was very tempted but I know it is not the highest btu firewood so I laid off.

Great list!

Jack22 said:
trumpeterb said:
I know there is a lot of talk on this forum about wood burning, wood heat, etc. I too have made the switch over to an all-wood heating system. I have been heating this way for 5 years now, and my house is nice and warm in the winter. There are, however, some serious side effects of wood burning that I have experienced. If you are not willing to deal with the following side effects, please, please, please, continue to burn fossil fuels or use expensive electricity to heat your house:

Here they are, not in any specific order:

1. I have had to cancel my gym membership. That's right, the exercise I get cutting, splitting, and stacking wood provides a great deal of exercise for me, and I have experience the side effect of actually feeling healthier.

2. I have had to endure the purchase of a new refrigerator. That's right, my old one went bad, and I happened to have enough money saved up to buy a new one since I wasn't having to pay such high heating bills during winter months.

3. Isolation...you heard me....isolation. I find that I spend an awful lot of time in the woods...with my sons....cutting and hauling wood, enjoying the outdoors, watching deer, and spending quality time together...how horrible.

4. Cleaner woods. I can actually walk through the woods around my house without tripping over limbs and other debris...because I have gasified it all. How dare I do something like that.

5. Jealous neighbors. While they are paying $500 monthly electric bills, I am paying $100...for an all-electric house. I have ruined my reputation in my neighborhood.

6. A wood burning smell emanating from my house....especially when burning cherry wood. Who actually likes that?

7. Neglect. I hate to admit it, but I have neglected my TV. During burning season, I would rather watch the gasification chamber of my EKO than watch TV....unless football is on....

8. I have also had the unfortunate experience of having the chance to teach my sons about various tree species, wildlife, etc. They have actually learned something while working in the woods, and a good work ethic is at the top of that list. Terrible.

9. Hoarding. I am a hoarder. I stockpile wood all year long, and I refuse to get rid of any of it...it just keeps accumulating. Maybe they will make a TV show about people like me....not that I would watch it anyway....I'll be starring at the gasification chamber.

10. I get into hot water a lot. Every day, actually. The boiler heats my domestic water for free, and I use it at will and never run out.

Again, these side effects are serious and may cause a change in your lifestyle. If you cannot handle them, please do not heat with wood....

Feel free to add any other "side effects" that you may have experienced to this thread.

6. A wood burning smell emanating from my house….especially when burning cherry wood. Who actually likes that?

This is one of my favorites you have listed. I love having that smell coming from my house. I have 3 neighbors that burn wood and I always loved walking out my door and smelling wood burning in the air. Gave me a warm feeling on the inside knowing these neighbors had a nice fire going to keep them warm on a cold day. I smelled burning cherry wood for the first time the other day and it was amazing. I guy I was buying wood from was burning it in his fire pit and I could not beleive how good it smelled. He was selling cords of just cherry for 50$ more than the regular cords, for people who use it for smoking. I was very tempted but I know it is not the highest btu firewood so I laid off.

Great list!

Took me 5 minutes to write a reply. I had to walk outside and smell the burn.

Status
Not open for further replies.