Side of road wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EPS

Burning Hunk
Jun 5, 2015
NH
Ever since I started CSS last year I drive around like a man possesssd--always looking at others' wood stacks, and checking out downed trees and etc. I've spotted some cut logs here and there, mainly near power lines and train tracks. While sometimes it is clearly on private property, some of the wood is in ambiguous locations. What is the best way to find out if the wood is up for grabs?

Reactions: D8Chumley
Check in with the nearest neighbor . . . if they don't own the land they probably know who does or who you can talk to and find out who does own the land.

Start loading it in your truck, you'll find out quick whose property it is! Seriously, my wife makes fun of me for doing exactly what you are doing. I find it amusing :)

Reactions: Oakwood5
Search for your state and the term "cadastral"

You will find a site that you can zoom in on and find the ownership of any parcel of land in your state.

Talk to the road departments and the forestry dept for the utilities. Most of the time they want nothing to do with the stuff. They can also tell you if its state property or privately owned. Worst thing to do is just take it might find out the hard way who the property owner is, it never hurts to ask.

Start loading it in your truck, you'll find out quick whose property it is! Seriously, my wife makes fun of me for doing exactly what you are doing. I find it amusing :)

This is what I do. I've said this before, and I'll say it again - It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Reactions: D8Chumley
This is always a tricky topic. Ive done it, but not on private property. Mostly along state and county roads.

This is what I do. I've said this before, and I'll say it again - It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

I suspect this may matter where you live . . . here in Maine with so many heating with wood just loading up cut wood into your truck can really rile up folks if they're the land owners.

Status
Not open for further replies.