Siding options - Carriage barn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Wow... old thread! Thanks for contributing, but that barn was finished in 2015.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
Wow... old thread! Thanks for contributing, but that barn was finished in 2015.
Well, in that case, it sounds like it may be time for an update, and/or renovation. I was thinking, maybe some extra wide, live-edge ash clapboard. I hear your about to have plenty of ash right in your yard. And, I know you could use a new sawmill to cut it yourself.

Well, in that case, it sounds like it may be time for an update, and/or renovation. I was thinking, maybe some extra wide, live-edge ash clapboard. I hear your about to have plenty of ash right in your yard. And, I know you could use a new sawmill to cut it yourself.
haha! Actually, I've been treating my ash, the thread you read are on a friend's lot about seven miles up the road, where I get more than half of my firewood.

Here's the finished exterior, before cleaning up the last of the construction stuff in the driveway, to finish out the siding thread. Interior shots have been posted, elsewhere.

exterior barn.JPG barn minisplit.JPG

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
haha! Actually, I've been treating my ash, the thread you read are on a friend's lot about seven miles up the road, where I get more than half of my firewood.

Here's the finished exterior, before cleaning up the last of the construction stuff in the driveway, to finish out the siding thread. Interior shots have been posted, elsewhere.

View attachment 228609 View attachment 228610
That's a sharp looking outbuilding. What siding did you eventually go with? Too much effort to go through all your threads to see if you answered that elsewhere (at least at this time of year).

I respect you are fighting the good fight on the ash borer, though futile it may eventually be. Probably makes a lot of sense compared to a big tree service bill and an overload of wood all at once.

Our newest nemesis is the dreaded spotted lanternfly. But that's for a different thread.

Yes, lots of lantern fly here. Battling those eff’ers on the black walnut trees that cover most of my property.

The siding is traditional old 6 inch cedar clapboard, primed on both sides before hanging, and face nailed with stainless ring shanks. I’m a sucker for high maintenance traditional methods and materials, I guess.

@Ashful
I noticed that the horizontal seams on your metal roofing are aligned rather than staggered. Was staggering them a consideration?
I'm designing and soon installing a metal roof on my house and wondered about the advantages of staggered versus aligned seams.

@Ashful
I noticed that the horizontal seams on your metal roofing are aligned rather than staggered. Was staggering them a consideration?
I'm designing and soon installing a metal roof on my house and wondered about the advantages of staggered versus aligned seams.
That salt-box on the back was added in the 1990’s, to bring the overall depth of the barn to 30 feet. The original barn was only 20 feet deep, and that single seam you see on the back is where the original roof ends and the new extension was inserted under it. If you look at that second photo, you can see where the foundation starts for the addition, right at the grass line. They appear to have just bought more of the same roofing for the addition, and slid it up under the older roofing on the original structure, at that time.

No issues, and they have more than a foot of overlap, probably the result of using standard-length panels without cutting to fit. If doing new, I’d aim to just buy panels of the right length, or roll on-site.

My house roof is traditional raised seam, made with short panels, and the joints there are staggered. I think they’re staked to the underlayment at one end only, so the other end (and the joints) can float with thermal expansion.

Reactions: semipro
That salt-box on the back was added in the 1990’s, to bring the overall depth of the barn to 30 feet. The original barn was only 20 feet deep, and that single seam you see on the back is where the original roof ends and the new extension was inserted under it. If you look at that second photo, you can see where the foundation starts for the addition, right at the grass line. They appear to have just bought more of the same roofing for the addition, and slid it up under the older roofing on the original structure, at that time.

No issues, and they have more than a foot of overlap, probably the result of using standard-length panels without cutting to fit. If doing new, I’d aim to just buy panels of the right length, or roll on-site.

My house roof is traditional raised seam, made with short panels, and the joints there are staggered. I think they’re staked to the underlayment at one end only, so the other end (and the joints) can float with thermal expansion.
Thanks, good info. Makes sense. I plan to use standing seam. I hadn't thought about thermal expansion specifically at the horizontal seams.

I can tell you that barn roof, which is exposed fastener, groans and creaks a LOT on sunny days. I hear it heating up all afternoon, and then cooling off thru the evening hours. Like your stove, you get to know the sounds of it heating and cooling, after awhile.

I can tell you that barn roof, which is exposed fastener, groans and creaks a LOT on sunny days. I hear it heating up all afternoon, and then cooling off thru the evening hours. Like your stove, you get to know the sounds of it heating and cooling, after awhile.
Our greenhouse roof with double-wall polycarbonate does the same thing. It definitely moves when the morning sun warms it up. And when it rains, it sounds like you are in the inside of a drum.

We have a pole barn with an exposed fastener metal roof and I know what you're talking about. It's really something in a hard rain.

We have a pole barn with an exposed fastener metal roof and I know what you're talking about. It's really something in a hard rain.

Oh yeah! Mine is baffled and spray foamed to about 5” depth now, so I don’t hear as much anymore, but it was darn loud when it was just bare metal on purlins.