Sierra 8000 Tec

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
To give potential advisers a little info:

The 8000 TEC is a big honkin plate steel cat stove with front and side loading doors.

BrotherBart said:
To give potential advisers a little info:

The 8000 TEC is a big honkin plate steel cat stove with front and side loading doors.

Yeah it is and boy is my home toasty.

I'm breaking it in over this week. This is my 4th fire in it. 1st fire in it over 2 hours and with large logs.

Im just looking for some one running the same stove. I want to see their fire to make sure im not over running mine or not running it right ect.

I dont have much flame in my firebox. I have some but i think i should have more.

Though that could be because my wood isnt 100% seasoned. I only had 6 months to season it.

The reason I gave the description is that there aren't any other 8000 users here that I know of. But lots of cat stove owners that can give good advice on burning in that bad boy.

[quote author="drozenski" date="1284188015
Though that could be because my wood isnt 100% seasoned. I only had 6 months to season it.[/quote]

While I don't have a Sierra stove, I do have a couple cat stoves (Fireviews). Wood that isn't seasoned enough (greater than 20% moisture content) will surely shorten the life of your catalist. I toasted the cat in my first fireview after the first two seasons because of this.

Drozenski said:
Though that could be because my wood isnt 100% seasoned. I only had 6 months to season it.
3fordasho said:
While I don't have a Sierra stove, I do have a couple cat stoves (Fireviews). Wood that isn't seasoned enough (greater than 20% moisture content) will surely shorten the life of your catalist. I toasted the cat in my first fireview after the first two seasons because of this.

My stove has a bypass. It allows me to not use the cat. Only about 30% of my wood isn't seasoned enough. I grabbed some other pieces last night, and boy was i surprised. 2 pieces of black locust burned 5 hours and i didnt hear or see any water coming out the side.

I've identified the wood that's not seasoned and will be mixing it in 1-2 pieces at a time with a real hot fire.

drozenski said:
Drozenski said:
3fordasho said:

My stove has a bypass. It allows me to not use the cat. Only about 30% of my wood isn't seasoned enough. I grabbed some other pieces last night, and boy was i surprised. 2 pieces of black locust burned 5 hours and i didnt hear or see any water coming out the side.

I've identified the wood that's not seasoned and will be mixing it in 1-2 pieces at a time with a real hot fire.

The fireview has the bypass as well (perhaps all modern cat stove do?) I've left the bypass open longer than usual when I've got some questionable wood.
One thing I never do is leave the stove unattended with bypass open, flames in the firebox have a direct route to the stove pipe with it open and this can lead to a very hot pipe and if there is build up, well you know.. start of possible chimney fire. Even with the air cut way back if the wood is outgassing enough the flame can follow the smoke several feet up the pipe.

Another suggestion is to put your questionable wood in a position in the firebox that burns first. In the fireview that is top front of the firebox. The split(s) that are in the lowest back postion will burn last, you don't want the questionable stuff there.

One Year Sierra 8000 TEC Veteran checking in...

I have a 35 ft Chimney/6" SS liner that extends above the roof and I have dirty glass that slowly builds up over the week. However, I have had it so hot a few times that it cleaned the glass completely. When the glass did clean itself the two $10 magnetic temp gauges needles i have (one above the cat, and on left side) were at 800 degrees. I suspect the cause is a combination of wood moisture and not running the stove hot enough.

I've also seen dirty glass on the non-cats that my Mom and Aunt have, but they also don't run em hot or have the driest wood.

Since I feel more secure not running the stove super hot I just deal with dirty glass by wiping it clean on weekends with one of the glass cleaners on the market.

Yes, the flame definitely gets suppressed when you close the cat bypass, it makes a neat eery bluish flame. My standard operating procedure after a year of using it is this:

1) Monitor from temp gauges placed directly above the cat (angled towards the front) and on the side. ( I understand they're not the most accurate, I just don't have a laser temp gauge yet)

2) Start fire (cat bypass open), doors closed, air control all the way open, ash tray open a crack. Opening the ash tray a crack is great at getting a new or smoldering fire going, it's a pretty sweet non documented feature.

3) When temp gauge on the left side approaches 300 degrees, close up the ash tray and cat bypass

4) When temp above the cat hits 500 degrees start closing down the air control slide.

5) Monitor the two temp gauges, adjust air as necessary.

6) When adding wood, let the new logs cook a little bit with the air controls and cat bypass open to burn off the surface moisture, then close up the cat and air.

Hope that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.