Sierra wood stove guidance?!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Rayannatk

Jan 3, 2022
Maryland
I just moved into a new place and this stove is installed. I have never had a wood stove before and I'm lost on how to work it. The knob and handle above the actual stove don't seem to do anything? If anyone has any advice I'd love to hear!
-Anna

image.jpg

I just moved into a new place and this stove is installed. I have never had a wood stove before and I'm lost on how to work it. The knob and handle above the actual stove don't seem to do anything? If anyone has any advice I'd love to hear!
-Anna

View attachment 289078
You should start by having the system inspected by a pro to see if it's safe to use

The knob and handle on top is to open and close the flue (chimney). Always have it pulled all of the way out anytime the stove is in use.

That is the Sierra T-4500/4600 insert made in the 1970's. Heated this house with one for 21 years.