Silent Splitting: version 2.0

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, science experiment is over.
Fiskar WINS!

So I just polished off a 36" round with the Fiskars x27. It took longer than driving a few wedges in, but it worked well enough.

Most importantly, I was doing a side by side comparison of the Fiskars and the 6 pound Maul for noise pollution. The Fiskars was noticeably quieter.
It didn't have the same reverberating, echoing WHACK that the duller mauls do. It had more of a subtler 'thump" type sound that didn't travel as far.

I know half you guys think this is crazy, but this is what it has come down to: parsing the difference between a whack and a thump.

Just as long as it keeps the neighbors and the constable off my back, and I can get home from the office everyday, get some fresh air, exercise, stress relief, and money/oil saving wood splitting.

Another testimonial for the Fiskars wonder axe. It splits silently.

Now how long before they start complaining about my stacks??

How does everyone else split these big rounds? Wedges or mauls?​

dsc03819-jpg.81704

Your neighbors might be happier if you rent a splitter for the really big stuff you describe. (Just split when noise restrictions are relaxed.) Swing a maul at the stuff you can separate in 1-3 whacks. That's the real satifying part anyways. Pounding a 3 ft round 20X is nobody's idea of fun.

Reactions: lumbering on
Where I often split is about 20 feet from the house next door and I have often wondered how they take to me splitting cord after cord of wood. When I can I move away from this spot to spread it out a bit. Ive asked them a few times when weve had to leave the house for a long period during the day if our husky dog has made any noises that bother them and they have said no. I will be asking them about the splitting this year I think. Even thinking he would appreciate me making sure he wasnt on night shift when I fire up the husky chainsaw this spring to buck up the load of 5' lodgepole and larch that the city gave me. Nice folks to have next door so I would like to keep it that way! The electric log splitter in the garage im sure is a nice change for them. Higher pitched sounds are much better than the deep sounds that whacking wood would cause and there are walls and doors blocking the noise.

Wow, I could definitely see myself running that in the garage.
Absolutely!
Personally i think these European manufacturers are missing out in the "premium" North American splitter market

[quote="lumbering on, post: 1436709,

Now how long before they start complaining about my stacks??[/quote]

Maybe I'm Mr.Negative,but I think you,ve likely found their next target. IMHO your neighbors will never be accepting from the sounds of it,hope I'm wrong and you can enjoy your property as you see fit!!

That's why I'm trying to keep the stacks nice and pretty... no end posts, no plastic or tarps.

I think they look beautiful. Then again, that's just me.

Status
Not open for further replies.