Single wall pipe, now need double...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MagdalenaP

Burning Hunk
Nov 10, 2018
Tilbury, ON
Hey All!

I bite the bullet and got a new stove. The old one has single wall pipe. What exact parts do I need for a double? Adapter? Any good brands to recommend? And any tips and tricks?

Thank you in advance.

The tricky part will be attaching to the chimney system. The stuff that was used for attaching single wall often doesn't work for double wall. You gave us no information about the chimney. Pipe, masonry, ceiling box, out the wall, etc.

This is what we have. Although part of me thinks this isn't right, and it was professionally installed/wett tested.

The previous stove has a clearance of 6" for single wall.

The new stove (drolet legend) has 6" for double wall.

So I'm trying to see what I need to get a double wall pipe on.

Edit to add: There is brick behind the pipe, but I can't find anything in the manual or online as to what my clearences can be with the brick. I'm just going in the better to be safe than sorry route and doing clearances as if it were combustible.

And adding again, perhaps adding a heat shield like this would suffice? https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/imperial-adjustable-stove-pipe-heat-shield-0642842p.html#srp

Attachments

• 75462460_817701011966666_7756874660729323520_o.jpg
    75462460_817701011966666_7756874660729323520_o.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
A wall, my dining room. The brick use to be an exterior wall. The stove is in my front sunroom.

The wall is 15" away from the single wall pipe right now. Stove is 11" I believe.

Your double wall stove pipe should fit over the stove pipe adapter in your ceiling box. It may need crimped is all.
I really like Dura-Vent DVL pipe. It’s fit and finish is pretty nice. Make sure to get a telescoping section or Also known as a slip section. They make a nice kit that makes the connection using only has 2 pieces that telescope. Assuming it’s an 8’ ceiling anyway. You may or may not need a stovetop adaptor, sometimes the pipe fits well right onto the flue collar.

Your double wall stove pipe should fit over the stove pipe adapter in your ceiling box. It may need crimped is all.

Over? Just like the single is in the pic? I always thought double wall has to go IN the stove pipe adapter...

Do you then mean the stove pipe adapter might need to be crimped?

Over? Just like the single is in the pic? I always thought double wall has to go IN the stove pipe adapter...

Do you then mean the stove pipe adapter might need to be crimped?
It will install just like single wall. Yes, the adaptor sometimes needs crimped, always though. It may already be crimped. We install 3 - 1” SS self’s drilling screws at the top, so it’s secure, and the slip can be lifted for cleaning while the pipe section stays put.

This is what we have. Although part of me thinks this isn't right, and it was professionally installed/wett tested.

The previous stove has a clearance of 6" for single wall.

The new stove (drolet legend) has 6" for double wall.

So I'm trying to see what I need to get a double wall pipe on.

Edit to add: There is brick behind the pipe, but I can't find anything in the manual or online as to what my clearences can be with the brick. I'm just going in the better to be safe than sorry route and doing clearances as if it were combustible.

And adding again, perhaps adding a heat shield like this would suffice? https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/imperial-adjustable-stove-pipe-heat-shield-0642842p.html#srp

Clearances are to combustible materials. So you'd measure from your pipe to the first combustible material - no matter if there is something non-combustible (i.e. brick) in between.

The inner crimped end goes in the stove, the end with the outer crimp goes to your
ceiling box,the inner diameter of that end goes over the ceiling adapter, the outer
crimp is to connect to another section of double wall, but in your application would
not be inserted into another pipe, in other words it is the part you need.

So I'm assuming the crimped part goes inside the chimney adapter, and the outer ring goes outside of it...correct?

That piece only adjusts from12”-18”, so make sure to get enough additional pipe make it reach, or a longer slip kit. They won’t all have crimped ends either like that brand. The fit is pretty poor with that particular brand, but it works.