single wall pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bunky

Sep 13, 2011
SW Michigan
Is the only reason for the double wall pipe for clearance amd through the wall?

How much clearance is needed for single wall pipe?

I was thinking I'm going to use a 4ft rise inside the home and exit through the wall so I was thinking the only double wall I need is through the wall.

I was wondering if there would be any heat gain of this as iam venting into a chimney (no clearance issues) should be some?

I think its allowed in a masonary chimney. But would bet it needs to be double wall in the house. I would assume clearance to combustables is far greater with single wall. But assume usually gets me in trouble. First off, due to code, pulling the permit and the following inspections. You need to go by the book. The book is the stove manual. There should be specifics in there on what pipe is allowed.

What stove are you installing?

I have 2 pieces of single wall pipe on my install. Both pieces are behind the stove and back up to a stone fireplace wall so they are protected from any combustibles and peoples hands. You need to check your towns codes to see if its allowed. I do know that single wall pipe needs to be way far away from a combustibles surface. Single wall pipe need to be a pretty heavy stock also.

Why are you thinking of single wall and where do you plan to get it? In my case there was no savings to go single wall. I had a weird dimension I had to deal with and had the single wall made to fit my needs. It was made of stainless steel and the ends mated together much better then the stove pipe you might buy for a wood stove from a stove shop or Home Depot.

I'll tell you this and that is it gets pretty hot.

Here in Nh from what I know. 18 inches for single wall Now for the chimney i do not think the gases will not be hot enough to reach the top to properly draft .

So theres single wall rated for pellet/biomass applications?

just askin.

I do not know of a single stove maker than allows single wall pipe. The main reason is if the gases cool to fast creosote will form. Read your manual.

Eric

Don't wood stoves use single wall pipe?

I guess they never said it wasn't a wood stove.

Here we go assuming again. ;-)

Yes, they do make pipe that will stand up to a pellet stove and its gases. I got mine from a company in Washington and it had a sticker on it that rated it for pellet use. This was in 08 so things may of changed.

Fly ash and its gases turns to creosote? Never heard of that before. I've not seen or felt any creosote in the 2 pieces of single wall that I have installed. I'm not saying it can't happen, just that after 3 years it hasn't shown up on my pipes.

Bkins said:
Yes, they do make pipe that will stand up to a pellet stove and its gases. I got mine from a company in Washington and it had a sticker on it that rated it for pellet use. This was in 08 so things may of changed.

Fly ash and its gases turns to creosote? Never heard of that before. I've not seen or felt any creosote in the 2 pieces of single wall that I have installed. I'm not saying it can't happen, just that after 3 years it hasn't shown up on my pipes.

There are combustion byproducts in that flue "gas" that will condense out and some of that is creosote. If the stove is burning well there is very little if the stove is burning with a compromised exhaust there is a whole lot more.

If the vent gets too cool (read this as rapidly losing heat as the "gases" move through it) those condensates in the "gas" will deposit on the vent internal surface. This along with the fly ash will over time compromise the exhaust system by reducing its flow.

In short keep it clean, properly installed (read the fine manual), well adjusted and you aren't likely to have any amount of anything deposited in the flue except a bit of fly ash.

However just because you might run your stove in that manner doesn't mean everyone does (this forum attests to that).

Smokey.

That was a good explanation. On my situation my 2 pieces of single wall pipe are the clean out "T" and a 14" section that attaches to the "T" so maybe I'm not seeing any of it because the pipes that close to the stove are staying hot.

I spent some time looking to see what was out on the net and there wasn't much at all other then a mention.

Pellet Stoves and Creosote
Like fireplaces or wood stoves, pellet stoves burn actual wood, so some creosote buildup is possible. However, the amount of creosote build up in a wood pellet stove is minimal compared to other types of stoves, which is due in part to its high energy efficiency rating and its high combustion temperatures.

Creosote Removal
In pellet stoves, creosote build up will appear as brown, sticky residue in your stove's flue. The website Pellet Stove Fires recommends cleaning your flue every two months while the stove is in use, which will remove any creosote build up and improve your stove's fuel efficiency. To clean the flue, contract a certified chimney sweep or purchase special creosote removal brushes, which must be inserted into the flue from the inside of the stove or from the exterior aperture. Go to the Chimney Institute of America website for to locate cleaning materials and a certified sweep in your area.

Yeah, I was surprised not to find a lot of information on creosote and pellet stoves. Mostly passing mentions of it, but then I rarely see mention of the need to and how to keep a pellet stove clean except on forums dealing with pellet stove problems, funny that.

I cringe when I read some stories in the newspapers about various stoves and burning this and that for fuel.

Could have, would have, should have, will have and did can be and frequently are different (old programmer's saying).

balls of fire said:
j-takeman said:
Yup, that's single wall but I'm pretty sure the idea is that those are to be used when relining in a masonry fireplace.

Yep, My guess too! See post #2. Someone thought they were not available anymore. Just confirming you can still get them. I didn't notice any lengths of pipe though. Just the liner and parts to connect the stove to the liner.

This is the single wall T originally installed on my Lopi. I don't know what brand it is. I changed it out for ICC. The cleanout cap is not on it. The horizontal end was stuck into stove outlet collar. There was no stove adapter.

Attachments

• IMG_0383a.jpg
    IMG_0383a.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 256
richkorn said:
This is the single wall T originally installed on my Lopi. I don't know what brand it is. I changed it out for ICC. The cleanout cap is not on it. The horizontal end was stuck into stove outlet collar. There was no stove adapter.

Is that stainless???

looks like a tee for a liner setup.

Was that on an insert?

http://www.chimneylinerdepot.com/store/519/product/Complete-Flex-Liner-Tee-3".html

Attachments

• flextee.jpg
    flextee.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 238
  • duraflextee.jpg
    duraflextee.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 247
Yes it's stainless painted black. It went onto a flex liner secured with hose clamp & Rutland tape.

I believe the OP was asking about using single wall inside a living space.

Where the heck did the OP go anyway.

So is there any single wall designed for a non liner application? I'm thinkin no.

smoke show said:
I believe the OP was asking about using single wall inside a living space.

Where the heck did the OP go anyway.

So is there any single wall designed for a non liner application? I'm thinkin no.

I'll have to agree. Probably will not find anything designed for it. But it doesn't mean some will not try regular single wall stove pipe.

In the early days(1999) when I was setting up my used quad. I went to the local quad dealer for pipe. The sales guy started pulling 4" single wall pipe for my order. I didn't even look at it, I just stated I wanted the insulated stuff. He said that's way too expensive and I could save some cash with the single wall pipe. Every stove he had installed in the show room was piped with single wall. I still opted for the L vent rated for pellets and corn(Duravent-But I don't remember what model) becuase I already had the thimble and some pieces to start with. So I quess at one time it may have been exceptable. I honestly don't think it is anymore. IMHO way to unsafe without the added insulation the double wall offers. I went to touch one of the stoves he had going and he warned me it was hot enough to burn my hand. Even with the stove idling on low fire. I could only imagine once it was cranked how hot it would get?

Any other old timers ever see a pellet stove plumbed with single wall?

Why not use CPVP or just a dryer vent kit? Just saying....

Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.