Size of stove vs heat output

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

weee123

Feeling the Heat
Oct 19, 2022
NJ
So I had this thought pop into my head the other day while looking at new stoves. I understand that a bigger firebox size will allow longer burn times, but how would it overheat a room and run me out of it? In my mind, a 500 degree metal box is a 500 degree metal box regardless of size. The only thing I can see a difference in would be that a larger firebox would maintain the temp for a longer time frame than a smaller firebox.

Am I right here or am I missing something? I also understand the mass of the stove may play a factor as well but am unsure how much of a factor

So I had this thought pop into my head the other day while looking at new stoves. I understand that a bigger firebox size will allow longer burn times, but how would it overheat a room and run me out of it? In my mind, a 500 degree metal box is a 500 degree metal box regardless of size. The only thing I can see a difference in would be that a larger firebox would maintain the temp for a longer time frame than a smaller firebox.

Am I right here or am I missing something? I also understand the mass of the stove may play a factor as well but am unsure how much of a factor
The difference is surface area. More surface area at 500 will release more heat into the home

Ok that makes sense thanks for clearing that up