Sizing a VC Vigilant

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Timber-stand impov.

Nov 16, 2017
Tucson Arizona
My father had been heating his 900 Sq. Ft open floor plan home on Cent. Vermont for over 25 years with a 1970's VC Defiant (only source of heat), the home was built in the late 1800's, we think, and renovated in the 90's; not the best of insulation...... Dad passed away last year and the new tenant discovered a large crack in the back of the Defiant's fire box which I confirmed before leaving last month. I have been looking at new approx. $800 stoves through tractor supply but am not convinced of the quality and or the operation/ability to maintain 8-10 hr heat. Just this week a VC Vigilant in good condition became available in the next village for $350.
Will this stove heat a 900 sf home in neg. 20 deg weather. Seasoned maple, ash, birch & cherry.
Thanks. Jeremy

Yes it should, but maybe post pic.s of the Vig esp. inside before buying if possible. You may be getting a great stove or a headache. Also, either the Vig or Def. could be rebuilt!