Skid steer or compact tractor?

SpaceBus

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2018
Downeast Maine
As to cost, my CTL ran almost double what my CTL cost two years earlier.. the CTL is a mid sized machine, 74 ho and 8400 lbs . The CUT is a 40 hp Kioti, both with cabs, heat, and air.

Kioti is five minutes from my house, and sells a couple hundred tractors annually. Deere dealer is a half hour away, and a hole in the wall with one mechanic.

Kubota is two hours away.
I wish my local Kioti dealer moved that kind of volume. They sold several units in 2018-2019 but then dropped off.

Ashful

Minister of Fire
Mar 7, 2012
Philadelphia
I think the consensus opinion here is to weigh local dealer support heavily into your brand purchase decision, as it’s tough to have a tractor out of commission when you need a part for a repair or modification. Around here, Deere pretty much owns the market, everything else is rare by comparison. As I mentioned previously, Kubota was king where I lived previously, and I’d have no issue buying from them if I still lived where their dealer support was stronger.

If Kioti were the dominant brand in our area, I guess I’d even have to consider them, although I haven’t been impressed by the few examples I’ve seen. I also see a lot of Mahindra commercials, and understand they’re actually the biggest of the bunch in most other parts of the world, but I’ve never seen one in the flesh.

We also have a TON of old Ford tractors used by homeowners and land owners, the 3000’s and adjacent CUT’s, and even a lot of old 8N/9N stuff still hanging around. We have a few local dealers who still service them and carry parts.

The one that surprises me is New Holland. Great old brand, and I live within spitting distance of New Holland, PA... but it’s rare to see a newer New Holland tractor around here. I think the local Deere dealership network has just forced them out of the local market.

Last edited:
Reactions: sloeffle

Gearhead660

Dec 20, 2018
WI
I have Deere and Kubota dealers a few minutes away and Kioti, LS, and Mahindra dealers all roughly an hour away. Will have to do some comparison shopping.

Reactions: thewoodlands

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
When I was shopping, I noticed that the SCUT Kubota I was looking at had a treadle type of forward/reverse pedal. I got it in my head that I'd like the JD's two separate pedals better. Also, the drive over mid mount mower on the Deere seems like it'd be easier/quicker. What mostly convinced me was the JD salesman-came up with a quote that basically required no dickering, and was considerably lower than the Kubota salesman's who was also less than responsive. Machine wise, it's probably a wash. Don't kid yourself that you're buying American though. A look at the big "China" cast into the FEL supports will disavow you of that. My Deere was assembled in GA, I think; not sure about Kubota.

Ashful

Minister of Fire
Mar 7, 2012
Philadelphia
If you’re shopping tractors, you could literally lose yourself for a month of evenings in videos from this one guy at Good Works Tractors. Since the conversation has been a lot of Deere and Kubota, you could start with these two he made about two years ago. He has no horse in this race, he sells both brands.

I see he posted a more recent follow-up, as well.

The real trouble with most of the Kubota vs Deere videos you see online is they’re mostly amateurs that already bleed green or orange, reviewing their own machines that are at the bottom of the heap in a manufacturers line-up.

SpaceBus

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2018
Downeast Maine
If you’re shopping tractors, you could literally lose yourself for a month of evenings in videos from this one guy at Good Works Tractors. Since the conversation has been a lot of Deere and Kubota, you could start with these two he made about two years ago. He has no horse in this race, he sells both brands.

I see he posted a more recent follow-up, as well.

The real trouble with most of the Kubota vs Deere videos you see online is they’re mostly amateurs that already bleed green or orange, reviewing their own machines that are at the bottom of the heap in a manufacturers line-up.
He definitely has a horse in this race ;lol

Edit: just saw your "bottom of the heap" comment ;lol ;lol ;lol

bholler

Chimney sweep
Staff member
Jan 14, 2014
central pa
Part of the reason I am not a fan of deer is we live in a heavy agricultural area and the deer dealers seem annoyed by homeowners coming in for smaller stuff. I am sure that would be very different in other areas.

lsucet

Minister of Fire
May 14, 2015
San Ysidro, New Mexico
Well, i will vote for skid steer or CTL. Now saying so, the tractor has its place and attachment are cheaper. At some point i had the three options, two kubota tractors, one skid steer cat 252b ( belongs to my cousin but it is always here till he needs it again), plus my CTL that it is a Case TR340 loaded with enclose cab, heater and A/C etc etc etc. Over the years i saw me myself using the tractors less and less to the point that i sold awhile back one due to not be using it at all.

The other kubota tractor, the oldest, was sold to one of the family members crossing the street from me a few months ago. He wants it for long time and finally i made the decision, decision was made due to the same reason. The cost of the attachment for SSs/CTLs are expensive. That is for sure, but once you have them life is simple, easy and fast. I can scrape manure and everything back there in 20 minutes with my CTL. With the tractor takes 2 hrs. Tractors around the fences when mowing and in corners are a pain. with the CTL i can put the brush cutter right at the corner and along the fence. Mud/dry/snowing/raining/ hot/cold etc is not an issue with the CTL. Any attachment available for a tractor is also available for a SS/CTL but at higher prices. I deal sometimes and very often with 2000 pound bales and the CTL with the bale spears just grab them like nothing and lets go. No ballast box or anything else plus maneuver in tight spaces is a plus.

For what i do the SS/CTL are better choice, for somebody else miles can vary.

Ashful

Minister of Fire
Mar 7, 2012
Philadelphia
Part of the reason I am not a fan of deer is we live in a heavy agricultural area and the deer dealers seem annoyed by homeowners coming in for smaller stuff. I am sure that would be very different in other areas.
Sounds like my area, 30 years ago. That all started to change pretty quickly in the 1990’s, to the point where our local Deere dealership, a big business with five locations, has now lost their contract to sell (or at least keep in stock) Deere’s AG products. They’re entirely commercial (big yellow quarry machines) and landscape products, now. They love homeowners with some discretionary cash, buying new CUT toys, now.

Touch0Gray

Feb 8, 2020
Wi
I originally had a Farmall C, with field chains. it was great for skidding logs but not much else, I moved on to an old Masssey 35 with a 6 foot bucket up front and a blade in the rear, chains and fluid filled tires. Parts go impossible to find and getting bits custom made was not cost efficient, and in 20 below weather stuuff breaks...a LOT. If you have EVER been elbow deep in 20 below hydro fluid you understand all too well. My son in law is a used implement dealer and located me a '94 Bobcat 773 C series, with heated cab. I have a 1200 foot driveway that can get drifted if the wind is coming from the NE. all the sudden I can go ANYWHERE, turn in my owwn footprint and can get to places that were inaccessible before. I needed a 1/4 acre to turn the Massey around!

I spend 70 bucks on a backup camera on Amazon and I can go anywhere essentially, and back out if necessary on my own tracks from coming in.

Attachments

Ashful

Minister of Fire
Mar 7, 2012
Philadelphia
I originally had a Farmall C, with field chains. it was great for skidding logs but not much else, I moved on to an old Masssey 35 with a 6 foot bucket up front and a blade in the rear, chains and fluid filled tires. Parts go impossible to find and getting bits custom made was not cost efficient, and in 20 below weather stuuff breaks...a LOT. If you have EVER been elbow deep in 20 below hydro fluid you understand all too well. My son in law is a used implement dealer and located me a '94 Bobcat 773 C series, with heated cab. I have a 1200 foot driveway that can get drifted if the wind is coming from the NE. all the sudden I can go ANYWHERE, turn in my owwn footprint and can get to places that were inaccessible before. I needed a 1/4 acre to turn the Massey around!

I spend 70 bucks on a backup camera on Amazon and I can go anywhere essentially, and back out if necessary on my own tracks from coming in.
You’re basing your opinion on comparing a modern 1994 skid steer to one tractor that was designed in the mid-1940’s, and hasn’t been produced since 1951, and a second designed in the early 1950’s!

I’ve also owned old tractors, and they’re fun and easy to work on, but always less reliable, higher maintenance, and far less capable than anything modern. They weren’t even 4wd! ;lol

Heck, my 1986 Deere was better than its 1984 predecessor in multiple ways, and both are garbage compared to the capabilities of any comparably-size machine today.

lsucet

Minister of Fire
May 14, 2015
San Ysidro, New Mexico
Tractors for agriculture are unmatchable as long there is good space. They travel faster, that sometimes can be a plus. Many farmers now a days are buying SS and CTL to work around the barn, feed, move things quick, digging etc due to their capabilities.
Visibility, control and precision are way superior compare to a tractor. It is good to have both if you have the room and space to maneuver. They all have their own use and in certain jobs one can be better than the other depending your needs and what you do. If room is not an issue, a tractor can be the way to go for an all around equipment. Cheaper, more economical attachment wise etc. But, once you get used to a SS or CTL and how quick and accurate you can work with it, I am sure your tractor will sit alot.