Sliding windows - extra security.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Swedishchef

Minister of Fire
Jan 17, 2010
Inuvik, Northwest Territories
Hey guys

Quick question: I keep a couple of my basement windows open a crack most of the time. However, if they are open a crack, they can be completely opened by anybody from the outside.

The inside window is easy to fix, put one of these on the track: http://www.homedepot.ca/product/white-sliding-window-lock/977437

BUt what do you do for the outside pane that can slide open as well?

Thanks

Andrew

Screw it to the frame from inside.

Reactions: ScotO
Since it is a horizontal sliding window there's not much for me to "grab onto" with the screw head from the inside....I think that is what I will end up trying to get done.

Make yourself a nice metal clip maybe, that hooks onto the sash, and then screw the other end of the clip into the frame.

That is likely what I will have to do..just gotta find someone who works metal...lol. I don't know a thing about it nor do I have the equipment.

Andrew

Papadave: I could do that but the outside window slides on the outside..I would have to put a bar there which means a potential intruder could remove it but would need a drill...

Jags: naw, just a window. Those screws you place on the track would be easily removable for the inside pane anyway..plus I have a basement entrance as exit... Thanks for the concern.

A

Reactions: PapaDave and Jags
Status
Not open for further replies.