Small crack on the top of Defiant Encore

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Pauln

Dec 8, 2023
WI
We are trying to sell a Vermont Castings Difuant Encore model #2190. It is a green stove and still looks good, but has a small crack on the top casting. Potential buyers are saying that it is unsafe and will leak CO2 and it would not pass a inspection. Any thoughts?

1000000089.jpg

It's not good and may get worse with use. The top needs replacement. I would pass on it if sold unless I needed a parts stove.

Last edited:
The crack is going to keep propagating until it hits the outside edge unless its drilled. It is going to ruin the potential value of the stove for resale. IMO Its not any more less hazardous from a CO perspective than a regular stove.

Drilling the crack would consist of drilling a small diameter hole about a 1/4 past the end of the crack. It will stop it from extending but will make the crack more obvious. Folks usually seal the hole with a bit of refractory cement.

Cast iron inherently cracks on occasion unless its stress relieved at the factory but that is not typically done for a consumer item, if its casting defect, the crack will appear fairly early in the life of the casting after it has gone through multiple heating and cooling cycles.

If your going to try and sell this.. either get a new top and sell it as a working stove.. or as is as a parts stove.. Regardless of weather or not ist going to leak O2 .. nobody's going to want to pay a good dollar for a cracked stove. It also looks like its been sitting outside with that rusted griddle.. thats not adding any bonus points either.

The crack would need to be taken care of before I would burn in it. I'd want to see the fireback and the damper condition also if the stove had been over fired.