Small pellet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
You will need a very small unit and even then you may have 2 much heat
something like an Enviro P3 or mini would do it

Any thoughts on using a pellet stove to heat a 120 square foot insulated outbuilding? Any suggested units?

I would think even the smallest currently available units will overheat your space rather easily unless you keep a window open.

Cleveland iron works makes an awesom lil stove but it only holds about 15 lbs of pellets.

120 sq ft... insulated...
If you are not going to heat it 24/7,
get an electric heater.
Seriously.
I'm heating 580 sq ft, ok insulated shop, nothing great,
with a small Englander.
On heat setting 1, it is between 55and 60° usually,
if I keep it going.

Dan

Reactions: SciGuy
Any thoughts on using a pellet stove to heat a 120 square foot insulated outbuilding? Any suggested units?
Whether I'm living in it 24/7 or just a work shop or to keep a pipe from busting, I'd go with electric heat like as Infared space heater. 120 square is 10 x 12 feet, and you say it's insulated too? I think I'd try one first ... or two later ... of those overhead round bowl lights that have silver reflectors pointed down, with 100 watt bulbs in them, just leave it on. The kind with the spring loaded clip ... I've used them in a 8 x 32 (256 square feet) enclosed patio shop that is un insulated and they keep it warm enough for working comfortable. One of those 200 or 300 watt work lights would do a lot too.

Reactions: SciGuy
Thank you for the all of the feedback.

There's fiberglass batting in the attic and room to add more. As for the walls, I won't have a sense of what insulation is in there until I start the remodel in a few days.