Small Pot Belly

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Yea I agree but just a off shoot kind of new merchandise or another type of market to sell from..with their wonderful name-Fisher..I wonder who owns that company now...clancey

Yea I agree but just a off shoot kind of new merchandise or another type of market to sell from..with their wonderful name-Fisher..I wonder who owns that company now...clancey
I am sure someone owns the name But the company is long gone. They didn't want to put the effort into improving their stoves to keep up with the times.

Why should they not have to follow the same rules as all other manufacturers?
Marine use. Dickinson, Navigator are still selling.

Reactions: bholler
Marine use. Dickinson, Navigator are still selling.
Is there an exemption for marine use? I know they cracked down on the "camp stoves" some I am assuming mainly because of us stove co.

No one is banning campfires. And I go camping all the time no way in hell I would sleep next to one of the POS camp stoves. I wouldn't have an issue with them getting an exemption for emissions. The market is so small it wouldn't make any difference. It is the safety issues that bother me.
You need to learn to live a little dangerously. LOL!!

Really a shame that the classic American Icon of a pot belly stove is not being continued in some way.

I don't think Tent stoves should be held to the same standard. Neither should small stoves for ships since there use is limited, volume of burn small, and sale volume low. Someone heating a small cabin on a ship should not be compared to the average home heated all winter with wood or coal. We use different standards for emissions depending on industry and volume all the time. Stoves shouldn't be any different.

Really a shame that the classic American Icon of a pot belly stove is not being continued in some way.

I don't think Tent stoves should be held to the same standard. Neither should small stoves for ships since there use is limited, volume of burn small, and sale volume low. Someone heating a small cabin on a ship should not be compared to the average home heated all winter with wood or coal. We use different standards for emissions depending on industry and volume all the time. Stoves shouldn't be any different.
Like I said before I really don't see a problem with an emissions exemption for actual camp or marine stoves. But they need to have the safe safety testing. My issue is with companies getting away with selling junk claiming it is a camp stove when it clearly isn't.

As far as the potbelly stove not being continued that is because there isn't enough market for them. Heating with coal just isn't very common anymore and most people who do do it with plate steel stoves now. The little market that is there is easily filled by the old stoves out there. I see them as decorative pieces all the time.

Yea just decorative now but that coal heating is in another category and does it last longer when your heating in the winter time as well as being able to get cleaner burning coal now..? clancey

Yea just decorative now but that coal heating is in another category and does it last longer when your heating in the winter time as well as being able to get cleaner burning coal now..? clancey
You can't get cleaner burning coal now than you could previously. Anthracite is referred to as clean coal by many and yes it is cleaner than bituminous sub bituminous etc it is far from clean. And it is nothing new at all. The only way to really have clean coal is with stack scrubbers they use on power plants.

Good information--thanks...but do they heat longer like "overnight" or something like that with less fill up?..clancey

Good information--thanks...but do they heat longer like "overnight" or something like that with less fill up?..clancey
Longer than some stoves yes not as long as others. There are tons of woodstoves that easily burn overnight. Some much longer. But yes in general coal has longer burn time than wood. The main benifit is ease of use which is why it was used so widely for a long time before oil and gas was easily available. But it also comes with some drawbacks

Here comes another closed thread.
Only if people get nasty about things. I am not a fan of coal but I try to be fair about giving the real pluses and minuses.

When I moved into my house which is almost 100 years old they heated by coal I believe and someone told me that they used to bring trucks up a alley and dump it into your basement and they had buckets to retrieve it.. The heat piping in this house was really strange big old pipes going to the four different rooms out of the kitchen area...Is that coal heat did they cook with it too? If it could be cleaned really well and used I would not mind having that to heat with especially if you had a air cleaner or something--they could make it work and it might be a whole bunch cheaper too...We are into a new age and those days are over and I really to tell you the truth don;t know if I am ready for it...lol lol clancey

I have never used coal since its not mined in my state. In the past it was trained over. Would love to have a load for overnight use since my home stove has a small firebox.

From my research folks get some really long burns with coal. Ive read up to 24 hours.

I have never used coal since its not mined in my state. In the past it was trained over. Would love to have a load for overnight use since my home stove has a small firebox.

From my research folks get some really long burns with coal. Ive read up to 24 hours.
Yes easily 24 hours if not more at low heat output. Btw you can also do that with some woodstoves as well.

I heated our last house for a few years with a coal boiler. And absolutely hated using coal. But some people love it to each their own. I still work on lots of coal units because I am in the middle of coal country in central pa.

They should work on that technology and invest in it to clean it up so that we could use it...But wood stoves are just beautiful especially with all the ambiance that they give and my very very favorite is that Beri one but really expensive and those old fashion railroad coal stoves are just beautiful as well as all those bears--so strong looking---thanks...clancey

When I moved into my house which is almost 100 years old they heated by coal I believe and someone told me that they used to bring trucks up a alley and dump it into your basement and they had buckets to retrieve it.. The heat piping in this house was really strange big old pipes going to the four different rooms out of the kitchen area...Is that coal heat did they cook with it too? If it could be cleaned really well and used I would not mind having that to heat with especially if you had a air cleaner or something--they could make it work and it might be a whole bunch cheaper too...We are into a new age and those days are over and I really to tell you the truth don;t know if I am ready for it...lol lol clancey
They may have used a coal cook stove. Being cheaper really depends on coal availability in your area

They should work on that technology and invest in it to clean it up so that we could use it...But wood stoves are just beautiful especially with all the ambiance that they give and my very very favorite is that Beri one but really expensive and those old fashion railroad coal stoves are just beautiful as well as all those bears--so strong looking---thanks...clancey
Clean up what?

Yes easily 24 hours if not more at low heat output. Btw you can also do that with some woodstoves as well.

I heated our last house for a few years with a coal boiler. And absolutely hated using coal. But some people love it to each their own. I still work on lots of coal units because I am in the middle of coal country in central pa.

Ive yet to find a small stove that has long burn times. Thats when I think coal would be of good value but I dont know. Would really like to find out.

The Petit Godin is a good example of a small coal stove that allows a deep stack of coal. I imagine that would make for a long run time in a small size. Jotul 507 is another.