Small Pot Belly

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Those stack scrubbers that was in one of the postings..clancey
Those are very large high maintenance items used industrially and you then have to dispose of all of the chemicals removed. The fact is with the abundance of low cost natural gas coal no longer makes economic sense in most areas. Here where we are in close proximity to high quality anthracite mines it still makes sense for home heating to some. But not for many of the other things it was used for

Ive yet to find a small stove that has long burn times. Thats when I think coal would be of good value but I dont know. Would really like to find out.

The Petit Godin is a good example of a small coal stove that allows a deep stack of coal. I imagine that would make for a long run time in a small size. Jotul 507 is another.
There are a few smaller cat stoves that give pretty long burn times. But even with coal with a small stove if you stretch the available btus of that small load out a long time the btu output will be very low. But the benifit of coal over wood is coal has many more btus for its volume than wood