Q&A Smelly Red Series 8 Jotul

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

Does anybody have any experience with a smelly stove. The smell is not like smoke but is more pungent like paint burning. Our stove is a 14 year old Series 8 red Jotul with round vent in front. During the past 4-5 years it has started to give off a very unpleasant odor when the stove gets hot. If I fire the stove at lower levels the smell will go away. Because of the smell, I have completely resealed the stove with cement/mortar, but with no results. The stove seems to have a good draft, so I would think that air should leak into the stove not out.

Thanks for anyone that might shed some light on this problem. I really like the stove, but the smell certainly reduces the enjoyment of a good fire.

Answer:

I've heard a few complaints of this type, both with newer and older stoves. It's a tough one to figure out. One common thread is that a few of the complaints have been with Red stoves! Wonder if there is something weird in the enameling process?

Anther possibility is that something in the room (carpet, hearth near the stove, etc) changed in the last number of years and that these materials are outgassing when the stove gets to a certain temperature.

Hopefully some others can give their opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies.