Smok,smoke and more smoke

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brina

Jan 30, 2011
pa
We bought a franks wood burning boiler and WTF every time we open the door to throw wood in the fire our freakin smoke alarms go off smoke and flames come right-out we have tried opening the window in the basement nothing is working it is a boiler that we bought off ebay refurbished and it came w/ nothing on how to install or an owners manual???

Can you get in touch with the E-Bay seller?

I Googled "Franks wood burning boiler" and came up with ziltch. Don't have a clue as to what the thing is like I'm afraid.

It was a company in canada they now have went out of business but the stove is maybe 78 or 79. It is driving me crazy when we first hooked the damn thing up it was ok had a little prob. w/ the plumbing and pressure valve's but got that taken care of and then all the sudden this chit starts. tell me about it I haven't slept in days up all night cause I am so worried about this freakin boiler.

So at first it worked OK?

If that's the case I would suspect that something is getting plugged up. Could be the heat exchanger portion of the wood boiler or it could be your chimney. Probably time to cool her down and check things out.

Adding fuel after the fire is burned down to coals is always a good practice too.

Welcome aboard!

I had a Franks Piping Wood Boiler years ago, worked fine until the top section got dirty. Above the loading door there was a access panel with 4 bolts,
after cleaning the ashes from behind this panel, I would use a bent piece of 3/8 round stock to remove 2 steel plates that sit on top of the tubes, to clean them with a HD scraper. I had a sawdust burner attached to this boiler, so I had to clean it every 3 weeks or so.
Good luck I hope all it needs is a cleaning.
PS My brother still has one and he loves it. His is also connected to a sawdust burner

Paul

Smoke question: Do you have a screen on the top of your flue? It may have gotten plugged with ash or such (happened to me) andit happens rapidly. Goes along with the "something is plugged" idea. You may not have any effective draft.

Yes WoodChoppa, I will PM you some stuff I will try to send pics too. This thread is about smoke and flame trimming your eyebrows. The boiler I have now is a 1974 HS Hedler Tarm. Works great when I reload at the end of the burn, meaning few coals and ash. If I try to load too soon, I get plenty of smoke too.

brina said:
It was a company in canada they now have went out of business but the stove is maybe 78 or 79. It is driving me crazy when we first hooked the damn thing up it was ok had a little prob. w/ the plumbing and pressure valve's but got that taken care of and then all the sudden this chit starts. tell me about it I haven't slept in days up all night cause I am so worried about this freakin boiler.
Draft varies quite a bit with the weather & temperature & that is possibly why it was ok for awhile. I would check the draft with an accurate gauge. You could try opening the door just an inch & leave it there for 5 seconds & then slowly open it further. I have great chimney draft, however , if I yank the door open I will get smoke in my basement. Good luck, Randy

If you continue to have problems put a large window fan in front of that window you are able to open. Close all doors to the basement & pressurize the basement( the fan needs to be the right way). I know, I know, this is hardly ideal, it is cheap though & the alternative is to probably fix(expensively) poor chimney draft. Run the fan, add wood, & then just close the window, Randy

NovaScotian said:
I had a Franks Piping Wood Boiler years ago, worked fine until the top section got dirty. Above the loading door there was a access panel with 4 bolts,
after cleaning the ashes from behind this panel, I would use a bent piece of 3/8 round stock to remove 2 steel plates that sit on top of the tubes, to clean them with a HD scraper. I had a sawdust burner attached to this boiler, so I had to clean it every 3 weeks or so.
Good luck I hope all it needs is a cleaning.
PS My brother still has one and he loves it. His is also connected to a sawdust burner

Paul

Wondering do you have a manual on how to hook up the plumbing we have it hooked up I just don't think it is hooked up right. we can only get our small house up to about 70 it did not come w/ no instruction or nothing this is our first wood burning boiler we had a firend who said he knew what he as doing but I am now no so sure!

Sorry-- I have no manuel or instructions, and I no longer live there, I am no plumbing expert. I am sure somebody on this site can help you if you can post pics or a diaghram of your system, very smart people on this site.

NovaScotian said:
Sorry-- I have no manuel or instructions, and I no longer live there, I am no plumbing expert. I am sure somebody on this site can help you if you can post pics or a diaghram of your system, very smart people on this site.

Hey Thank you very much for all your help and thank you everyone else for you suggestions!!

Status
Not open for further replies.