Smoke coming from bottom of Napoleon EPI3C

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MassWeather

Jan 5, 2018
Massachusetts
Hi Everyone,

We got a Napoleon EPI3C last winter and have been using it as primary heating for our first floor for almost a year now without an issues. It's always been great - no smell or smoke or draft issues.

Today, I started a burn like I normally would an immediately noticed a strong wood smell filling the house. I pretty quickly saw tons of smoke pouring out of the bottom of the stove. I eventually closed the damper all the way to try to get the fire to burn out. As the burn continued, the smoke eventually cut down (as the fire picked up) but I still have an extremely strong smoke smell coming out of the stove, but no visible smoke. I've checked to make sure the door is properly closed.

Any ideas?

This is our first wood burning stove insert so we are new to this, but we've been heating our home with this without any issues for almost a year now. Thank you!!

I frequently can get the smoke to flow backwards through the secondary system (tubes on the roof) and dump out of the secondary inlet on the back of my stove on the NC30 if I have the door open. It's during startup and as soon as I shut the door the draft pulls the smoke the proper direction through the secondary system. Kind of annoying since I enjoy "campfire mode" during startup. During the backdrafting secondary time the chimney is working the right way by pulling most smoke up the stack. It's weird.

That's unusual. I've never had that happen. Why do you think it is? You have a good tall flue. Sounds like the ambient temp in the shop is too close to the outdoor temp.

That's unusual. I've never had that happen. Why do you think it is? You have a good tall flue. Sounds like the ambient temp in the shop is too close to the outdoor temp.
It was about 45 degrees outside and about 62 indoors. I feel like I've burned with it like this before with no issues.

Forgive me, I'm new to this - this would be at the top of my chimney?
Yes, if there is a screen it will be on the lower part of the cap which is on the top of the chimney. If it is hard to get up on the roof then maybe try some binoculars to see if there is a screen. If there is and it looks black and fuzzy, then it probably is plugged. If you can see daylight through the screen or if there is no screen then there could be another issue that is stopping the chimney and will need inspection.

Last edited:
It was about 45 degrees outside and about 62 indoors. I feel like I've burned with it like this before with no issues.
That response was to Highbeam's post.

My chimney sucks like a Hoover! With a wide open loading door and air rushing in towards the fire there is not enough suck in the firebox to prevent the heavy smoke from being siphoned down the secondary system. Easily reversed by closing the loading door which then puts enough vacuum in the firebox to Suck smoke in the right direction.

It only matters to the op if he was leaving the loading door wide open during the time of smoke leakage. Remember, it’s not smoke spilling out of the loading door but from one of the other intakes for combustion air flowing backwards.

So massweather, was your loading door open?

With a wide open loading door and air rushing in towards the fire there is not enough suck in the firebox to prevent the heavy smoke from being siphoned down the secondary system.
Bizarre. This is the first time in 13 years here that I have heard of this happening. There are lots of secondary stoves that have screen options and don't have this issue. FWIW, it's never happened on our stoves.

Reactions: bholler
Bizarre. This is the first time in 13 years here that I have heard of this happening. There are lots of secondary stoves that have screen options and don't have this issue. FWIW, it's never happened on our stoves.

I’ll have to take a picture. It’s weird seeing smoke pour out the back but most smoke running up the chimney. It’s not a draft reversal, just a cold stove thing.

What temp is it in your shop when this happens?

What temp is it in your shop when this happens?

55+. It’s probably not a draft issue, the chimney pulls smoke just fine. Just the draft is satisfied by the open door and the fire, the secondary system is cold and backdrafts.

I’ll make a whole thread. I am glad that this is not common in homes! That’s why I never brought it up. Knowing my luck I won’t be able to reproduce it.

55+. It’s probably not a draft issue, the chimney pulls smoke just fine. Just the draft is satisfied by the open door and the fire, the secondary system is cold and backdrafts.

I’ll make a whole thread. I am glad that this is not common in homes! That’s why I never brought it up. Knowing my luck I won’t be able to reproduce it.
I have never heard of it either. I dont doubt you a bit it is just a very odd path for the smoke to take when you have draft

Coming out the bottom because of lack of draft is very common though

Think wide open door. The chimney draft is easily satisfied by air from the wide open door instead of the relatively restrictive secondary system. This is a noncat where all air entering the chimney comes in right by the door opening.

The path up and around the secondary air system is circuitous. It's not the path of least resistance for the smoke to take.

Think wide open door. The chimney draft is easily satisfied by air from the wide open door instead of the relatively restrictive secondary system. This is a noncat where all air entering the chimney comes in right by the door opening.
I get it and it makes sence that you would not be pulling air through the secondaries. But it doesnt make sense that smoke would go the otherway. That means either you have positive pressire in the firebox which doesnt make sense or negative pressure behind the stove. Which i guess could happen with the large amount of air going in the door