Smoke coming out primary air inlet -- unique circumstances?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Propane_Poor

Oct 20, 2018
Ohio
Hello, just fired up a cold stove and had some odd smoke leakage.

• Jotul f400, couple minutes into lighting
  • Top down fire, fatwood burning black smoke on top
  • Door open
  • Dryer running in utility room 10ft away
  • Black smoke from the fatwood wafting out of the primary air inlet underneath
I close the door and it corrected itself. Is this just a fluke instance of pressure going the wrong way due to the variables involved? Everything seems good now.

Thanks!

Dryer putting a negative air pressure in the room. It's got to get air from somewhere so your chimney is the fall guy for this. Unless you crack a window maybe. Or hook the stove up to draw in air from outside. Kevin

Reverse draft during cold start. It happens.

I had asked a very similar question a few days ago. Cold startup in evening, not much temp differential between inside/outside. Dryer running 20 feet away in another room. Negative draft, kept shutting off torch when trying to heat the flue.

Dryer off at startup, no problems.

Very common depending on where in the house the stove is located and what your chimney setup is.

I had asked a very similar question a few days ago. Cold startup in evening, not much temp differential between inside/outside. Dryer running 20 feet away in another room. Negative draft, kept shutting off torch when trying to heat the flue.

Dryer off at startup, no problems.
This is a clear cue to provide an outside air supply for the stove.

What you don't want is to get down to coals on a warm day, and then someone turns on the dryer and the range hood, and suddenly you are pulling CO into the house.

As begreen said, outside air.

Reactions: Woody Stover
This is a clear cue to provide an outside air supply for the stove.

You know, I know that there is a vent at the base of the Chimney outside. I distinctly remembered asking the installer where my stove (Regency H2100) could benefit from it (the vent on the outside of the Chimney) - he didn't think so.

If I can take advantage of what appears to be a OAK vent, what can I do to employ it? The 2100 is installed on the hearth in front of the old Majestic ZC unit. Hope I've given enough info....