Smoke from stove polish? New (used) stove install question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

garybeck

Dec 7, 2010
Vermont
I just purchased a used Jotul F600. I inspected it closely and did not find any cracks or warps and it seemed to be in good shape. Before I hooked up the stove I could feel a draft going up the flue. I have an 8" chimney liner and the stove has an 6" exhaust so I have an adapter. The adapter is positioned directly after the stove. it then travels about 2' horizontally with a decent upward slope, and then into a swivel 90 to connect to the chimney liner. everything seems pretty tight.

I am burning it for the first time and there is a funny odor. It is not the same as burning wood smoke. It smells similar to the first time I fire up my boiler and the registers still have dust on them. In addition to the smell, there is some smoke that I can see hovering around the ceiling. It's not a lot, just barely enough to see. I am looking closely and I don't see any smoke coming out of the flue or the stove.

Interestingly my smoke alarm is not bothered at all!

The person that sold me the stove told me he put stove polish on it. this was probably to make it look real nice for the sale. I googled a bit and found that stove polish can smell and create smoke the first few times you use the stove afterwards. Do people here agree? How much smoke can it make? Is it possible that is what is happening?

Is there any way to determine definitively where the smoke is coming from if I can't see it until it is hovering at the ceiling?

not sure if this is related but i did get it up to the middle of the burn zone on my thermometer but I did not see any action at the secondary burn tubes.

I'm probably not going to make another fire until I have an idea of what is going on.

any advice is appreciated.

gary in vermont

Last edited:
Could be stove polish, which is too bad. The stove should have been repainted instead. Both will smoke as the polish or paint bakes in. The stove pipe should be 6" up to the chimney connector.

Could be stove polish, which is too bad. The stove should have been repainted instead. Both will smoke as the polish or paint bakes in. The stove pipe should be 6" up to the chimney connector.

thanks. I will redo that section and move the adapter to just before the chimney liner. if it is the stove polish causing the smoke, how long should it take to stop smoking and smelling? i'm not sure painting was an option, if the stove is unpainted iron?

Yes, the polish should burn off after a few fires that take the stovetop up to 600º. The stove was painted from the factory. Stove polish is old school. It dulls quickly and leaves a residue that makes it harder for paint to bond. It also dulls quicker than paint.

Yes, the polish should burn off after a few fires that take the stovetop up to 600º. The stove was painted from the factory. Stove polish is old school. It dulls quickly and leaves a residue that makes it harder for paint to bond. It also dulls quicker than paint.

thanks I guess I will fire it up a couple more times and keep the windows open and hopefully it will stop smoking and smelling.

Do yourself a favor, burn the polish off as good as you can, wipe it down with denatured alcohol and paint it with satin black stove bright paint.
Did you replace the single wall pipe? It will smoke pretty bad as well.

Reactions: begreen
hello everyone. after 4-5 fires, the smoke and smell in my house is gone. I guess it was all from the polish. thanks so much for your help