Smoke into house

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nokoni

Nov 28, 2005
I had something happen earlier that is new for me. I lit my stove up as usual and a few minutes later a bunch of smoke started pouring out of the top eyelets into the room. I immediately checked to make sure I had everything opened up and I did. I then quickly closed the air regulator and reopened it. I kept an eye on it and everything corrected itself. Could it be I just had no draft and a smoldering start up that didn't make enought heat to start the draft?

Sounds like a cold flue caused a backdraft. Since it isn't super cold outside, it takes a little bit more heat to establish the heat differential necessary for a good draft.

Perhaps you had a negative pressure induced by another appliance? IE the hot water heater or furnace kicked on?

If you have wood stove that dumps into an 8x8 masonry chimney, BEFORE you start the fire in the stove, could you initiate or encourage draft by running a small propane blow torch through the cleanout (at the BOTTOM of the chimney, not via stove) for a few seconds?

elkimmeg said:
screw the propane use mapp torch
Screw the mapp gas and get an Oxygen / Acetylene torch with a #8 rose bud tip. If that dont melt your stove then .............a............ O' I guess i got carried away there . :zip:

I use a small coleman camp stove. Really heats up the chimney at arount 8,000 btu.

Sit it in the mouth of the stove for 2-5 minutes...no draft problems.

The Power of Pine.

One piece of 40# paper. Little TeePee of pine. Look out brother it is fire time.

You guys just never lived the good life. Pre-liners and stuff. I am like a kid in a candy store. Not having to blow on the kindling, keep trying to stuff paper under the crap that didn't light. Wear a gas mask until the stove decides to cooperate. One hour start-ups.

A little smoke back? Pish. Posh.

Well Nokoni, as long as you didn't hear a squawk and see a stork fanning its behind on your roof, it sounds like Corie, et al have it figured. What was the outside temp when you lit the fire?

Be Green, I'd say it was about 61-62 outside when I lit it. Inside it was probably about 61-62. I think it must have just been the draft because it was smoldering in the stove. Once the flames got going I could see the draft pick up and start sucking the smoke up. I should probably wait until it gets colder out but if it is 62 in my house I am COLD and I really don't want to turn the gas boiler on yet. My chimney seems to have a really good draft even though the flex pipe takes a bend before it goes straight up two stories. I have an old wash house so the ceilings are about 9 feet and my roof is super steep. In the end it put some smoke in the house but after I realized I wasn't going to burn the place down the smell of the smoke was nice. Usually I don't smell the wood burning much because the door is closed. The fireplace where I grew up made the whole house have a smoky smell which I liked but looking back on it probably was terrible for our lungs and the environment.

Sounds like you are becoming a seasoned firebug. Order a batch of Thomas's super-starters for those shoulder temps and you'll be fine. On those days, you just need to warm up the chimney a little before feeding the fire more kindling. Even a few balls of crumpled newspaper will help. You will see when the draft reverses and becomes normal. Then start the fire. It'll be cooler soon and then the draft will improve.

Status
Not open for further replies.