Smoke smell. Fixed, I hope.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

343amc

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Nov 23, 2005
West Michigan
The other day I noticed a faint smoke smell when starting the stove. Didn't think too much of it as it would go away once the fire was good and going. Today I started it, went into the basement for a bit and came back upstairs. I checked on the stove and the faint smoke smell was still there, but the stove had been running for an hour or so. I shut it down, pulled it out of the fireplace and took the side panel off. The attached image isn't the greatest as it was taken with a phone in one hand and a flashlight in the other. One of the combustion blower housing bolts was just as shown in the picture - hanging on by a thread (literally). I checked the other bolts and two others were loose as well. I haven't ever pulled the blower off the stove, as it's only had about 1.5 ton run through it since I bought it new.

I found the nut rolling around in the back of the stove, reinstalled it, tightened the others up, vacuumed out some dust while I was in there and put the side panel back on. Going to vacuum the fines out of the hopper in a little bit. Don't really need the stove today as it's pretty warm outside.

I guess I need to add "check various nuts and bolts on the stove to make sure they're snug" to the pre season checklist. I don't know if those bolts can work their way loose or if this is another example of the lack of quality control at USSC. Based on some of my other findings, I'm going to go with QC, or lack of.

Attachments

• exhaust.JPG
    exhaust.JPG
    70.8 KB · Views: 166
Any thing that vibrates can have the bolts/nuts loosen. They have thread lock though that's your exhaust fan not sure what temp rating thread lock has. THey probably have a high temp one too.

Hopefully Santa was watching the building of this unit.

Eric

Based on other things I've found I think this stove rolled through quality control on Friday July 3 at 4:55 PM.

I've learned a lot by owning this stove, but my next one isn't going to be a USSC product. Lesson learned.

Based on other things I've found I think this stove rolled through quality control on Friday July 3 at 4:55 PM.

I've learned a lot by owning this stove, but my next one isn't going to be a USSC product. Lesson learned.

Awesome choice.

Yes Friday at 1655 hrs would not be the best time to have a stove or anything made for what it is worth.

Eric

***edit*** Dah, I just saw the July 3rd date and using math I realize what date follows. SORRY, my round.

Thats to funny Qc at 4:55 on July 3rd.

I keep learning about my stove, too. So damn much infact that when the one I have finally passes on I'll probably just get another because I know how to fix it.

100th post btw. Do I get a prize??

I wish I would have known more/asked more questions/been active on this site at that time and generally been a more informed consumer. At that time, to me a pellet stove was a pellet stove. I learned my lesson and realized that pellet stoves are like cars or most any other product. There are great ones, good ones, and mediocre ones.

I'm already contemplating my next stove. I might sell this one in the spring (while it still looks nice and doesn't have a huge amount of tonnage through it) and pick up something a bit nicer, meaning a bit quieter, and especially more visually appealing. Anyone have personal experience with the Englander/Timber Ridge 55-TRPEPI? My wife likes the look of that stove.

I wish I would have known more/asked more questions/been active on this site at that time and generally been a more informed consumer. At that time, to me a pellet stove was a pellet stove. I learned my lesson and realized that pellet stoves are like cars or most any other product. There are great ones, good ones, and mediocre ones.

I'm already contemplating my next stove. I might sell this one in the spring (while it still looks nice and doesn't have a huge amount of tonnage through it) and pick up something a bit nicer, meaning a bit quieter, and especially more visually appealing. Anyone have personal experience with the Englander/Timber Ridge 55-TRPEPI? My wife likes the look of that stove.

Has she seen the Harman or QuadraFire line?

Eric

343amc,

Practically all of the stoves (even a mongrel bucket of parts) can be made to burn correctly it becomes a matter of what you wish to do and how much money and time you are willing to put into it.

None of these including the high end stoves are even close to being rocket science.

Eric - only in pictures in the product marketing materials and on websites. The local shops haven't had inserts in stock when we've stopped by. The layout of the house requires an insert. What brought the whole conversation up was when my wife and I stopped by the hearth shop and my wife heard a stove running and said "wow, that's quiet".

Smokey - agreed. I don't have any issues with the way the stove burns, heat output, etc. The main issue is noise. The stove is in the living room and it does drown out conversation, TV and so on. Obviously motors and moving air make sound. I don't mind tinkering or working on the stove. It gives me something to do in the winter.

None of these including the high end stoves are even close to being rocket science.
That's okay for rocket siencetist like you but for someone like me who has problems putting his socks on right side out running a stove is pretty hard.

yup i see it umainah, not as shiny as the one i got in littleleage but just as pleased with it.:D had a gf in west bath a few years ago spent many a weekend up thah. also i just noticed i amlisted as a member, not a new member. :)

Do you know about Am Fm Engergy, If your looking at a Englander One of the Senior Englander members here, I believe sells refurbed units, with a full manufacturer warranty. Many folks have ordered from them with great success!

http://www.amfmenergy.com/55trpepi--epa-certified-pellet-insert--2000552000.html

That's the exact one I had my eye on.

That's okay for rocket siencetist like you but for someone like me who has problems putting his socks on right side out running a stove is pretty hard.

Comedian Steven Wright talking to a woman in a bar:
Woman- "Do you know you have 2 different color socks on?"
Steven- "Yes, but that's OK because I go by thickness."

Reactions: SmokeyTheBear
Status
Not open for further replies.