smoke "woofs" from elbow?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

farmgirl13

Hearth Supporter
Dec 20, 2010
Upstate NY
Have a Jotul Firelight CB600. Installed 2009. Ran well through 11/10. Chimney cleaned 11/10. When starting a fire, smothers itself unless ash pan drawer is cracked open. However, then smoke woofs from pipe near elbow. Pipe re-cleaned 12/18/10. Cannot retstart fire without same problem. Anybody help me here? Thanks :)
New roof installed in 11/10. 8 layers of old roof replaced with 1 layer architectural shingle...could this have caused a negative draft? House is 150 years old, plank walls and very little insulation...if that helps!

Thank you (everyone!) for your insights! :)
The chimney was cleaned by a professional both times. He did remove the pipe from the stove and there was creosote in it second time. I'm using the same wood that I had left over from last season..and it has sat in the garage bay all that time (not seen any weather.) I did purchase 10 cord of this season's wood, but I have used it sparingly once the fire was already going. It seems odd to me that it could have clogged so quickly....or maybe it's not so odd? I don't know! Now I'm afraid to use it..

Welcome farmgirl. I would be more suspicious of a change in the wood. It sounds like this season's firewood might not be quite ready to burn yet and a bit too damp. Do you know when the wood was actually split and how long it has seasoned?

Don't use the ashpan door to supply more air. It can crack the grate and more expensively the base of the stove. This practice is warned against in the manual. Instead leave the side or front door open a bit.

BeGreen said:
Welcome farmgirl. I would be more suspicious of a change in the wood. It sounds like this season's firewood might not be quite ready to burn yet and a bit too damp. Do you know when the wood was actually split and how long it has seasoned?
+1

Don't use the ashpan door to supply more air. It can crack the grate and more expensively the base of the stove. This practice is warned against in the manual. Instead leave the side or front door open a bit.
+100! I would strongly recommend not using this practice. The worst time to do it is at start up also. The cast is cold and gets super heated in one spot. That is what causes the stress crack in the base. Last time I checked a new base plate was $200+. And that is the cheap part. The labor to take the stove all the way down and rebuild is much more!

farmgirl13 said:
Have a Jotul Firelight CB600. Installed 2009. Ran well through 11/10. Chimney cleaned 11/10. When starting a fire, smothers itself unless ash pan drawer is cracked open. However, then smoke woofs from pipe near elbow. Pipe re-cleaned 12/18/10. Cannot retstart fire without same problem. Anybody help me here? Thanks :)
New roof installed in 11/10. 8 layers of old roof replaced with 1 layer architectural shingle...could this have caused a negative draft? House is 150 years old, plank walls and very little insulation...if that helps!

Who cleaned the chimney?
Was the elbow dismantled/removed during the cleaning?
Sounds like you are losing draft through a chimney connection.

Really sounds like back puffing, but no idea why it would just suddenly start on you? Sounds like air flow is restricted somehow.

Most times when smoke leaks from a pipe it's because of something restricting the draft...like a clogged cap or pipe

With properly cleaned and running system you could have a hole in the pipe and watch the smoke go right by and NOT exit the pipe. Some stove stores demonstrate that principle in the winter months.

Status
Not open for further replies.