SMOKEY SMELL??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lmcdill

Oct 26, 2006
I own a 1978 tri-level house that had a heatilator fireplace. A couple of years ago I installed a Appalachian 4n1-xl cat insert with 6 inch stainless steel flex liner and insulation. I seem to notice a smoke smell from the blower outlet and right below it by the door. I have noticed this ever since I got this thing and really haven't gotten an answer from Appalachian about this. I do not understand where it could be coming from other than the door. I replaced the door gasket and feel that it is a good seal, but maybe not. You don't seem to notice it much in the house, but you can smell it when you stick your nose by the blower outlet. It baffles me what it could be. I am tempted to replace the door gasket again with a bigger size. Any body out there have any idea where it could be coming from? Thanks in advance.

Have you actually tested the door gasket using the dollar bill method?? (a quick search will get you lots of info on that)

How about some sort of internal leak into the air passage for the fan?

If you open the door does smoke come pouring out?

Did you clean the old unit before installing the insert, it could be a stale creosote smell from the old fireplace.

The unit is in the lower level, not the basement. It is on exterior wall with flue in exterior chase. I did clean the old fireplace before installing. Dollar bill test shows some suspect places, but nothing real bad. I could replace it with a bigger gasket size. Is it better to use gasket cement or high temp silicone with gaskets? The smell is when the stove is hot. More of a smell when you load it up and it may not be going full steam, but shut it down for an overnight burn. It tends to smell more then. If there was a leak in the door gasket, wouldn't it tend to suck air in, not smoke out? Also smoke does not bellow out when the door is open. I do feel like I have a good draft. I have also thought about an internal leak but not sure how to find this out. I have looked, but came up with nothing. I appreciate the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.