Smokey!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jiga

Nov 8, 2017
Massachusetts
Hello all new member here.
I bought and installed an older pellet stove a few weeks ago in my loft. It's an earth stove mp40. It's directly vented out through my wall. I have been running this stove nightly and it's been flawless! Well i woke up at 2am and my loft was full of smoke so i shut her down! Going to clean her out again but wondering if anyone knows what might cause this Smokey problem? This is my only heat source in a in a loft that is not insulated (working on it) in New England so i need to address pronto! Thanks in advance.
Jeff

Attachments

• IMG_20171106_191655290.jpg
    IMG_20171106_191655290.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 122
When is the last time you cleaned the vent pipe out ?

Took out the burn pot. As i was vacuuming i noticed a good amount of half burned pellets in the ash bin. Is this normal and if not could this be what caused all of the smoke?

Attachments

• IMG_20171108_153956049.jpg
    IMG_20171108_153956049.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 125
So after cleaning her out good i fired her up. Using a flashlight i noticed smoke coming from the ash pan drawer. Gasket is shot. I put a little high temp silicone around it to get me through the night. Smoke stopped now it's making a loud humming noise on and off. Sorry I'm a newbie and confused!
PS: I'm aware I'll have to cut free the silicone tomorrow when i get gasket material.
Thanks

Smoldering pellets...what kind of pellets? The ash bin should have just ash and Mcnally whole or not fully burned pellets. I encountered some pellets that did this 1 they never burned right.

I do not know this stove, so all I can say is the usual and start simplest fixes first.

I replaced the ash pan gasket and also the hopper gasket and she's burning like a dream! Problem solve
That's great !