Snow on Mt Washington - time to burn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

peakbagger

Minister of Fire
Jul 11, 2008
Northern NH
I live just north of Mt Washington in New Hampshire. Yesterday the house was too hot but by this morning a stiff NW breeze and clouds cooled things down. Looks like its time to test the backup oil burner ( I usually let it run couple of days in the fall to check that everything is okay and its not leaking and then think about firing off the wood boiler. Its supposed to be warmer later in the week so I expect the wood stove will get tested next rather than run the boiler up to temp.

I have been there... isn't the top of Mt. Washington the most inhospitable place in North America?

Snow level is down to 5k ft. on Mt. Hood and it is raining small animals here. I started burning my shoulder wood the earliest yet here this year, on the last day of summer. Last year I started burning the 3rd week in October.

Despite being fairly short compared to west coast mountains, Mt Washington sits on three storm tracks plus its occupied year round by the Mt Washington Observatory staff so they measure how bad the weather can get. It used to have the world record for highest wind speed but is now second place. They have several webcams at this link http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/cam/deck/

I have been there... isn't the top of Mt. Washington the most inhospitable place in North America?

Snow level is down to 5k ft. on Mt. Hood and it is raining small animals here. I started burning my shoulder wood the earliest yet here this year, on the last day of summer. Last year I started burning the 3rd week in October.

Scraping the windshield in the morning, and then swatting those #$^#%$ fur-bearing mosquitoes in the afternoon - they didn't stop at all this year. Thunderstorms have been dropping over 100 mm (4" or more) at a time with much flooding in the area. The ground is still saturated - my property looks like it did when the Spring melt and runoff happened - nothing has really dried out. What a bizarre year all around. And now I'm just thinking that if the snow hits us anything like the rain has hit us this year, we're gonna be tunneling our way out of the house by Dec. It has awakened the scrounger in me - a friend and I did a quick tour of the back property this weekend and picked out a couple nice mid-size dead standing maples that are going to be on pallets in a week or so, another big dead cedar I've been picking away at for kindling is going to get cut and split, some ash that just hit the ground (might try to time that right), and one monster yellow birch that looks kinda tired of being battered by the winds - if that comes down, I'm gonna be busy for a while. I sense we're in for some real interesting winters this year and / or next, all over the continent.

It will be interesting to see what winter brings. Here, we've had 3 years in a row with very little snow. So not only have we had dry summers but also dry winters. I suspect this year will be a bit different. My fear is that many areas may see more ice storms this winter. I hope I am wrong.

Funny that frost was predicted for this morning. I got up at 6:00 and Saginaw was reporting 50 degrees! We had something like 44 and certainly no frost.

Funny that frost was predicted for this morning. I got up at 6:00 and Saginaw was reporting 50 degrees! We had something like 44 and certainly no frost.
Just south of you it was chilly for sure this AM. More than likely going to light a small fire this evening.

Tomorrow night I'll be up at the cabin. It's supposed to be mid 60s during the day and high 30s at night. Given the lack of thermal mass and insulation I think the Century will be burning. My truck bed is full of scrap 2x to start fires with and a bit of cord wood for when I sleep. I'm looking forward to letting the little stove stretch it's legs. After installing it last fall I didn't get a chance to use it. This year I plan to correct that.

I need to cover the wood at home too. It's going to be sunny this week so I think I will wait until rain threatens again.

Matt

The presidential range is great, park your car in the valley, it's a regular summer day 70-80F, hike to the summit and it's a howling blizzard, fun to watch the unprepared hikers scurry away. Common enough in the Rockies or west coast but on the east coast nobody expects snow in July. I wouldn't use snow on Mt Washington as a good sign that Winter is nigh.

TE

Status
Not open for further replies.