Snow White

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BillBurns

Feeling the Heat
Nov 11, 2022
PA
Hey all....a question. Is it normal for my ashes to be mostly white and fluffy, like snow? It may be the pine ive been using, or its just burning well? Thanks for any info......oh, and they are LIGHT. A puff of air and they are all stirred up.

Hey all....a question. Is it normal for my ashes to be mostly white and fluffy, like snow? It may be the pine ive been using, or its just burning well? Thanks for any info......oh, and they are LIGHT. A puff of air and they are all stirred up.
Yeah pretty normal

The answer is B: All of the above.

Seasoned pine usually burns down to a fine dust, with very little coaling.

Thanks for the information. Its really easy to get rid of them, thats for sure

Thanks for the information. Its really easy to get rid of them, thats for sure
Yeah, all over the living room! Someday I'll be able to laugh about the time I tried using compressed air to blow clean a plugged catalyst, while still installed in a stove full of such ash. Someday...

Live and learn right? Lol.....mental note to self...dont do that!

The good news is that if you have a tall chimney with good draft, it's pretty easy to scrap this ash into the ash pan with no spillage out into the room. If you have a shorter chimney that tends to exhibit draft reversal, then time your clean-outs for when the pipe is pulling the right direction, meaning either warm stove or very cold days (although, aren't they always one in the same?).

I just use a small shovel and take my time. It can be messy if the wind blows right. Only happened once so far. It will blow ot my cig lighter sometimes while Im lighting paper. Not much ashes tho. Thats a plus.