Snowblower Advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Treacherous said:
I've heard many suggest on several snowblower forums that the auger design on the SINGLE stage Toro's is superior to other's including the Honda's.

They are probably just blowing snow up your ---

Brrrrr that has got to be cold!!!!

ChrisN - Please tell us how your new blower performed for you in this current storm....we have 14" so I am guessing you might be getting buried too?
Coming to realize that my 160 ft driveway needs a better machine that my 8.5h orse ariens and 24' cut.

daveswoodhauler said:
ChrisN - Please tell us how your new blower performed for you in this current storm....we have 14" so I am guessing you might be getting buried too?
Coming to realize that my 160 ft driveway needs a better machine that my 8.5h orse ariens and 24' cut.

I have about the same Ariens and it did the job easily this morning......never a hiccup.

It is a nice mid-sized machine.....

If I was gonna step up from there it would be to a machine I could sit on (tractor type)...big bucks, though.

Craig, are you able to take a full bite with the machine in this much snow?
With about 12" of snow, I can only take about 1/2 bite or else the impeller gets clogged up....perhaps this is the norm though?
Basically, once I got the first pass made, the max I could go is about 50% of the bite, and that was on the slowest speed.

I can take a full bite no problem - even not on the slowest speed.
Are you sure both sides of your snow screws are turning?
I'll get the model # to make sure we are comparing apples to apples.

I can even go though plow piles that are pretty dense which are as high or higher than the machine.

Also, there is a drive belt inside which needs tightened up once in a while and you have to make sure all the linkages travel fully or else you may not be fully engaging all the power.

Of course, these things need to always be set on full throttle.

Thanks for the info...I'll check to see if the belt is loose like you mention. (Just had the friction plate replaced yesterday, and the shop said everything looked good)

Craig, mine is a Ariens 932104...I guess I just pot the belt cover off and check to make sure its not slipping?

That's what I did...but mine is an 8526
Maybe you gave the serial number?
I think the manual shows how to expose the belt. The belt is what tensions everything...as I remember, therefore adjusting it tighter or replacing it can help if slippage is the problem.

How about the fuel - clean? Do you put drygas or something else in there here and there? Stabil? I leave my gas in over the summer and still have no problems, but lack of full fuel flow can definitely sap power.

Webmaster said:
That's what I did...but mine is an 8526
Maybe you gave the serial number?
I think the manual shows how to expose the belt. The belt is what tensions everything...as I remember, therefore adjusting it tighter or replacing it can help if slippage is the problem.

How about the fuel - clean? Do you put drygas or something else in there here and there? Stabil? I leave my gas in over the summer and still have no problems, but lack of full fuel flow can definitely sap power.
Thanks for the info Craig. Not sure if it is slipping...just doesn't seem to throw the snow as good as it used to.
Power is really strong, and the engine runs fine......the engine doesn't bog down at all when the impeller is not shooting the snow very far, so Ibet your right on the belt being the issue. I leave my fuel in over the summer as well....never had a problem...always starts on the second pull.
I'll pop of the case and check the belt.
Thanks Craig

I bought an Ariens 7524 on Craigslist for $350.00 a few years ago and it never handled anything other than dry fluffy snow until today.. The guy I bought it from told me you have to blow snow at speed 2 max (it has 6 forward and 2 reverse speeds) and I tried it and sure enough he was right.. If the snow was wet which we get all the time here it would just clog up and if it did anything I had to crawl it along until I looked at the belts a week ago.. I found the belts looked OK but also noticed there is a pulley which tensions the auger/blower when you engage it.. There is an idler puller which pushes the belt against the drive pulley and it is adjustable.. I found I had about 1/2" I could move this idler pulley to make the belt tighter and WOW it's like a new snowblower!!! I was throwing slush over 10 feet and only clogged it a few times because I blowing pure slush! I always thought a 7.5 HP snowblower should have pretty good power and sure enough it works better than it ever has!!!! I was also able to grind up plow chunks and move them as well.. Gotta say this made my day as I can run this thing at ALL speeds now and move heavy wet snow! YAY!!!! I suspect this guy got rid of this snowblower because it sucked which it did until today...

:)

Ray

Thanks Ray....I have the same issue with slushy snow.....throws it about 1 foot max ..so I am going to take of the cover after I'm done work and take a peek. Hopefully it just needs to be adjusted and not replaced.
Not to mechanically inclined, so I might take a few pics and perhaps you can show me on the pics what I might need to adjust? (If you would be willing to?) or maybe PM you?

daveswoodhauler said:
Thanks Ray....I have the same issue with slushy snow.....throws it about 1 foot max ..so I am going to take of the cover after I'm done work and take a peek. Hopefully it just needs to be adjusted and not replaced.
Not to mechanically inclined, so I might take a few pics and perhaps you can show me on the pics what I might need to adjust? (If you would be willing to?) or maybe PM you?

Dave do you have an Ariens snowblower? On mine there is a plastic cover over the belts held on by 2 bolts.. If you remove this cover you should see 2 belts.. The larger heavier belt is the auger blower belt and if you press the lever which engages the auger/blower you will see an idler pulley being moved towards the larger belt engaging it to the engine pulley.. Loosen the idler pulley and move it towards the center of the machine.. On mine I noticed the engine loading when I engaged this pulley after moving it.. This made a massive difference on my machine and should on yours if you had the same problem as I did! Hope this helps..

Ray

Yes Ray, have an Ariens 932104, its about 10 years old or so.
Thanks Ray.....I think your directions are great, and will make more sense when I see it in front of me.
I am guessing I should just move the pulley in a little to see if that makes a difference? Or should I move it all the way so it touches the belt? (Like I said, might make more sense when I look at it)
Thanks so much!

daveswoodhauler said:
Yes Ray, have an Ariens 932104, its about 10 years old or so.
Thanks Ray.....I think your directions are great, and will make more sense when I see it in front of me.
I am guessing I should just move the pulley in a little to see if that makes a difference? Or should I move it all the way so it touches the belt? (Like I said, might make more sense when I look at it)
Thanks so much!

Move it in all the way and check that when you release the lever that the auger/blower stops.. When you release this lever it creates slack in the belt and applies a brake to the auger/blower.. Make sure this happens and you are good to go...

Ray

Today was fun. A couple of drifts were close to 4'.

Yeah, they were--reminded me of when I was a kid, when snowstorms dumped enough snow to have forts on all the driveway corners! Of course, my l'il buddy's only 8 months--a bit too young to scoot around in the snow.

S

I have to do the above belt tightening to my Ariens 824 as its a great machine with an auger that stops when you get much snow in there and you can hear the belt squealing.

My Simplicity 860 worked like a champ though. Walked through the snow behind the house so I could get to the walking path for the main entrance. Had to go in lowest gear and WOT to do it...pretty funny to see that sucker going through snow that was a good 4-6" deeper than the front opening...so much spilled over the top that I had to do everything twice. At times when I was making my first cut the exhaust was a few inches lower that the top surface of the snow and because it was fluffy powder you could see this little extra indented path blown along the left hand side. Fun stuff.

That Ariens is one hell of alot beefier machine than the Simplicity though...gotta finish getting it fixed up and use it this year! The auger on both is 24", but the Ariens auger opening is a good 3-4" taller, augers are larger diameter, tires are twice the size, lots more ground clearnce under the differential, etc...just all around a much heavier duty machine.

A few months ago I sold my 20-year old Craftsman for a 4-year old Husqvarna, 2-stage, 27", 10.5 hp snow monster. I knew my old snowblower was weak, but this thing puts it to shame. Got a great deal for only $500 on CL. Sometime, you can find good deals on CL. By now you know most people on here recommend the 2-stage, and I agree. And the Husqvarna is awesome.

raybonz said:
daveswoodhauler said:

Dave do you have an Ariens snowblower? On mine there is a plastic cover over the belts held on by 2 bolts.. If you remove this cover you should see 2 belts.. The larger heavier belt is the auger blower belt and if you press the lever which engages the auger/blower you will see an idler pulley being moved towards the larger belt engaging it to the engine pulley.. Loosen the idler pulley and move it towards the center of the machine.. On mine I noticed the engine loading when I engaged this pulley after moving it.. This made a massive difference on my machine and should on yours if you had the same problem as I did! Hope this helps..

Ray

So I just checked my Ariens 824 as said, yep, a good half an inch make up was due. I noticed on Dome killer weekend it was not handling the slushy stuff as well as it used to, I did the traction disk last year so was thinking it should be good to go. In seeing how much space there was, makes me wonder how it was throwing at all? Impeller just slipping? She's tight now, pulley free wheeling when let go, tight when handle squeezed. I haven't used it yet, but feel pretty confident I'll see a big improvement. So.......Thanks for the idea Ray!

Czech said:
raybonz said:
daveswoodhauler said:

Ray

So I just checked my Ariens 824 as said, yep, a good half an inch make up was due. I noticed on Dome killer weekend it was not handling the slushy stuff as well as it used to, I did the traction disk last year so was thinking it should be good to go. In seeing how much space there was, makes me wonder how it was throwing at all? Impeller just slipping? She's tight now, pulley free wheeling when let go, tight when handle squeezed. I haven't used it yet, but feel pretty confident I'll see a big improvement. So.......Thanks for the idea Ray!

Just glad to pass along some helpful advice.. Hope it works out for you!

Ray

Tightened mine up last night too, now I jsut need to get it out and try it I had probably well over an inch of deflection and the idler pulley was at the furthest out adjustment. Moved it all the way in and we'll see how it goes. Best now has about a half inch of playw hen engaged. Probably time for a pair of new belts anyway as they're very, very old. I squirted some belt dressing on them to add a little moisture though.

mayhem said:
Tightened mine up last night too, now I jsut need to get it out and try it I had probably well over an inch of deflection and the idler pulley was at the furthest out adjustment. Moved it all the way in and we'll see how it goes. Best now has about a half inch of playw hen engaged. Probably time for a pair of new belts anyway as they're very, very old. I squirted some belt dressing on them to add a little moisture though.

I'd be hesitant to use belt dressing as these belts need to slip when you disengage the blower and drive wheels.. Be sure the blower stops when you release the engage lever and the brake applies or it could become a dangerous situation..

Ray

I worried, anyone hear from Chris after that big dump CT got last week. Some places got more than 2 ft. He may be still out there in the middle of the hill with the single stage machine. I think he needed 2 machines, his and hers.

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.