Snowblower Engine swap

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

CRJ700

Dec 22, 2017
Long Island
Maybe a bit off topic.. We had a blizzard yesterday here on long island. Sounds like I might have blew a rod on my craftsman 88957. Luckily it was after I finished doing my entire drive way. I was looking at those predator engines by harbor fright. has anyone here had any luck using these? Curious if i can just bolt on and off and connect the pulleys.

Can't say how easy it will be to bolt on but I have seen several of them and they seem to run good. Only thing I wonder is about carb icing. You may have to add some shielding or something to retain some heat. Prob OK in most cases but when it gets cold like it is now it could be a problem.

Maybe they have one set up for cold weather operation.

Hey fellow islanders!! I’ve done it and would do it again. I have one on a 1968 ariens that I replaced all the bearings and bushing on. Thing is a beast. Worked great when I got home last night at 6pm.
Not sure about your application, most importantly check that you only have one shaft on that current engine. Some had two. One for auger one for drive. The secondary one is smaller, spins backwards and half the speed, runs off cam.
Some sorta heat shielding is necessary. My carb/governor linkage froze up for the first time last night, I’ve had it 3 yrs. I was basically done so I’ll deal with it later. Shockingly there’s a snowblower forum that can help.
Some applications require moving the shoot controls as well. As far as the 100$ harbor freight engine I love them. Also repowered a go kart with one. I’m waiting for the 5hp Briggs, that is so loud and stinks, on my log splitter to die so I can replace it.

Can't say how easy it will be to bolt on but I have seen several of them and they seem to run good. Only thing I wonder is about carb icing. You may have to add some shielding or something to retain some heat. Prob OK in most cases but when it gets cold like it is now it could be a problem.

Maybe they have one set up for cold weather operation.

Yup - I think I would try to find something that is winterized. I think the Canadian equivalent to these cheap HF engines has a couple winterized versions. Even my Toro with original winter version B&S will cough to a sudden stop if the wind gets the wrong type of snow blowing just the wrong way and it sucks a little bit of it in. Couldn't imagine a summer use motor on there, it likely wouldn't get 20 feet before doing the same thing.

Condition dependant, as always - but you might also be able to cobble up some shielding & intake filtering setup that might get you by if stuck.

Reactions: TreePointer
I’ve done it. They work great. I did build a carb/muffler cover after the first season. I ran it for three seasons before I sold it last winter. Far better and stronger engine that the 8hp Tecumseh it replaced.

If you are looking for more specific guidance, check out snowblowerforum.com. Lots of guys over there have done it at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
There are a few Predator mods on YouTube. I use the 13hp on my splitter sand it works fine and was same diameter but longer shaft length. The manual also shows the engine equipped with a charging coil. Depending on HP the Predator can be a nice inexpensive change out.

the tech engines that come in most blowers and generators has non adjustable stuff, but you can get a carb from amazon for 15 bucks that is oem and is adjustable for the application, you can find those engines everywhere for very little

I forgot, most snowblower engines are "snow" engines and that usually means, or did mean, they have included a compression release mechanism off the camshaft. My 13hp started as easy as my blower recently when it was cold. I do not know if the Predator offers the same technology.

I forgot, most snowblower engines are "snow" engines and that usually means, or did mean, they have included a compression release mechanism off the camshaft. My 13hp started as easy as my blower recently when it was cold. I do not know if the Predator offers the same technology.

The predators start incredibly easily! I’ve got one on a generator that only runs a couple times a year, and a second one that I ran on my snowblower for a few seasons that now currently resides on my son’s go-kart. When the engine was warm my son was able to start it as a 65lb 10 year old (he’s on the small side).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had one that I put on an Ariens a few years ago. The only issue I had was setting up the pulleys. I did change the size on the auger and sped it up a little, that thing would throw 50' with no problem. I did not have a problem with carb icing.

I set up a honda on my Toro power shift that I still use that I had to make a heater box out of aluminum flashing to keep it running at less than 3/4 choke. I simply made a box that wraps the muffler and goes around air filter to supply "warm" air to the carb.

Reactions: VirginiaIron