So disappointed in my Wood this year...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
My family has owned a furniture store in Ansonia for over 100 years and still has a plaque from the high water mark from the flood in 1955.
View attachment 234314
I was working there when the latex fire happened in 2001.
I heard about the 55 flood from my father all the time when I was a kid, they built a dam in town and a few others in the area so it wouldn't happen again.

If you get bio bricks, burn them with some green wood, burning them solo sucks.

Burnt a ton last year to try them out and was extremely disappointed.

My family has owned a furniture store in Ansonia for over 100 years and still has a plaque from the high water mark from the flood in 1955.
View attachment 234314

Thats awesome! I know exactly which store you are talking about. Hah.

Things have changed a lot in Ansonia. They knocked down the whole row of "Affordable housing" and now its park/vacant land. I was a landlord during that time... Lets just say my area got a little more 'exciting' as those people moved up towards waklee... got rid of my house made some decent money on it and moved on...

Anyhow, yeah, I guess fate has shined on me a little bit. My dad is a realtor, and he just started working with a guy who is looking to sell about 100+ acres of land in Oxford/southbury... Guy seems pretty open to me cutting anything I want. Gotta go take a look and see what he has, but I might have just scored some wood... :)

Thats awesome! I know exactly which store you are talking about. Hah.

Things have changed a lot in Ansonia. They knocked down the whole row of "Affordable housing" and now its park/vacant land. I was a landlord during that time... Lets just say my area got a little more 'exciting' as those people moved up towards waklee... got rid of my house made some decent money on it and moved on...

Anyhow, yeah, I guess fate has shined on me a little bit. My dad is a realtor, and he just started working with a guy who is looking to sell about 100+ acres of land in Oxford/southbury... Guy seems pretty open to me cutting anything I want. Gotta go take a look and see what he has, but I might have just scored some wood... :)

I'm in Oxford so if you need an inexperienced hand in exchange for some wood let me know! My brother in law is a realtor in the area as well. He is just starting off. He works out of Southbury.

I too burned some SWI (?) bio bricks this year in an open fireplace. I was not too happy with them. Seemed to not burn well and not much heat. Was better with some wood thrown in but still not great. Maybe it was the brand. I got them at ACE at Quarry walk in Oxford. Maybe they don't work well in an open fireplace.

My family has owned a furniture store in Ansonia for over 100 years and still has a plaque from.

That's great!

My orthodontist when I was a kid 45 years ago was Dr. Crane in Ansonia.

Remember Caldor's? I had (still have, actually) a light brown and dark brown windbreaker from Warnaco's in Bridgeport. Someone would frequently ask me to help them if I wore it in Caldor's. :)

I moved to Hunterdon county in NJ after growing up in CT. The flood of '55 (Hurricane Diane) devastated the Delaware River towns, especially, Frenchtown out where I lived.

https://www.nj.com/hunterdon/index.ssf/2015/08/flood_of_55_hit_lambertville_area_hard.html

That's great!

Remember Caldor's? I had (still have, actually) a light brown and dark brown windbreaker from Warnaco's in Bridgeport. Someone would frequently ask me to help them if I wore it in Caldor's. :)

I moved to Hunterdon county in NJ after growing up in CT. The flood of '55 (Hurricane Diane) devastated the Delaware River towns, especially, Frenchtown out where I lived.

https://www.nj.com/hunterdon/index.ssf/2015/08/flood_of_55_hit_lambertville_area_hard.html

I had a cousin who worked at caldor for a long time!

^^^ My Grandmother did too... lol Used to literally get every christmas gift in a Caldors box.

51fc9c8ebba7a81bcc6a090948d569f2.jpg

That's great!

I hope you sent them to the wrong aisle ==c

View attachment 234314

My Mother’s uncle and aunt owned an apple orchard in Ansonia, along with a cider mill. A small operation. We used to go visit when I was a little tike, very early 1960’s. We lived in Meriden so back then it was a major road trip for us.

So some good news bad news. I still stand by my assessment that my wood is absolute crap this year. I measured three random sized (indoors and heated up) splits. Split them and then measured. Each of them were in the Mid-high 30% MC!!! I mean come on... even the Fir I cut 2 weeks ago had a slightly lower intern MC... Also I'm finding a lot of punky, insect eaten wood in my stack.

I stand by my original statement, this wood sucks...

Now onto the good news. I'm cutting up some Ash from a friend this weekend. Looks to be about 1-1.5 Cord's worth. So I'll have that for seasoning. Also I checked and cleaned my liner this week. I did a mid-season clean last year in late January and never cleaned it after that. Maybe had 2 cups (if that of Creosote and fly ash. Burn times are not great and secondary combustion is not great. I'm just going to have to resolve myself that this year will not be a great wood burn year and keep planning and looking ahead to the next one.

The only way to buy and burn within a few months is to use pellets or an outdoor wood boiler where you don't care what kind or how much wood you put in. In CT it is almost worse since we get a lot of red/white oak that needs 3 years to dry or it won't burn well. The other common hardwood is Norway Maple that can be ready after a year of drying as long as it is covered.

So some good news bad news. I still stand by my assessment that my wood is absolute crap this year. I measured three random sized (indoors and heated up) splits. Split them and then measured. Each of them were in the Mid-high 30% MC!!! I mean come on... even the Fir I cut 2 weeks ago had a slightly lower intern MC... Also I'm finding a lot of punky, insect eaten wood in my stack.

I stand by my original statement, this wood sucks...

Now onto the good news. I'm cutting up some Ash from a friend this weekend. Looks to be about 1-1.5 Cord's worth. So I'll have that for seasoning. Also I checked and cleaned my liner this week. I did a mid-season clean last year in late January and never cleaned it after that. Maybe had 2 cups (if that of Creosote and fly ash. Burn times are not great and secondary combustion is not great. I'm just going to have to resolve myself that this year will not be a great wood burn year and keep planning and looking ahead to the next one.

Good for you.. glad to see you move on.. i like the positive attitude of this years not going to be great and just move on.. no reason to dwell on it.. waisted energy.... make some serious wood storage to keep the wood in good condition and fill it up

The only way to buy and burn within a few months is to use pellets or an outdoor wood boiler where you don't care what kind or how much wood you put in. In CT it is almost worse since we get a lot of red/white oak that needs 3 years to dry or it won't burn well. The other common hardwood is Norway Maple that can be ready after a year of drying as long as it is covered.
Do you live in area surrounded by trees? I can get oak below 20% in two years. Never needed 3 but I have seen some people stack the wood surrounded by trees and doesnt get much sun or wind so I can see why they need 3 years.

I am in an area with a good deal of trees, however the area i store my wood in gets good sunlight and is covered as well as good wind coming through the property.