So how much have you burned this season so far?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What height is your flame steady at at 1/2 open on medium? When they say in the book that the flame should be 4-8 inches on high, is that constant or just peaking? Curious. Trying placement scenarios with my thermostat. If in the same room it cycles too much. Around the corner of the opening of the room it is in it cycles for long times and sometimes doesn't get to temp to cycle so playing with the temperature setting. Any info?

I run on high 24/7. 8" should be the peak flame height. I can't seem to get in the range o 4 - 8 any longer. It's more like 4 - 10 or 12 and my feed gate is closed almost all the way. I don't want to close any more to guarantee good starts.
With my stove being in the basement I set the tstat, (which is also in basement), to give a comfortable temperature on the 1st floor, this seems to work well.
Maybe a small fan blowing into the area where the tstat is will help it cycle better.

I run on high 24/7. 8" should be the peak flame height. I can't seem to get in the range o 4 - 8 any longer. It's more like 4 - 10 or 12 and my feed gate is closed almost all the way. I don't want to close any more to guarantee good starts.
With my stove being in the basement I set the tstat, (which is also in basement), to give a comfortable temperature on the 1st floor, this seems to work well.
Maybe a small fan blowing into the area where the tstat is will help it cycle better.
Mine is in my living room. I have mine on medium with the feed just about as closed as you can get it and it fires every time. I know on Med it will run longer but heats better I think longer and slower is good for me and takes longer to cool down too because the heat spread. How much are you using a day? I have a Tatar with a 2 degree swing in each direction.

Mine is in my living room. I have mine on medium with the feed just about as closed as you can get it and it fires every time. I know on Med it will run longer but heats better I think longer and slower is good for me and takes longer to cool down too because the heat spread. How much are you using a day? I have a Tatar with a 2 degree swing in each direction.

I'm sure if mine was in the living area I would be running on med. Using 1 bag a day right now with temps. in the 20's at night and 30-40 during the day. My tstat has a total swing of 3::F. I fire up the Jotul when I get home from work this keeps the back of the house at 70 - 73, nice.

I'm sure if mine was in the living area I would be running on med. Using 1 bag a day right now with temps. in the 20's at night and 30-40 during the day. My tstat has a total swing of 3::F. I fire up the Jotul when I get home from work this keeps the back of the house at 70 - 73, nice.
My swing is 2 degrees in both directions. So my total is 4. You've got the added benefit of the Jotul. I only have the cab50. I'm trying to get my tstat placement just right so it cycles ok. Last night didn't shut off once till I dropped the temp by 1 degree this morning. Came on at 740a. Didn't shut down till 12p Still not on yet which is good. More time for cool down, less cycling and less fuel. Burning without cycling I get 20-22 hrs on one bag on medium with feed about a 1/4 inc from its lowest setting. First year for us so everything is trial and error. Plus I think my 3 tons I purch this year is totally going to be used and then some. This season so far is colder than last year.

How do you like your green supreme? I have a few bags of those. Burning Made in Maine premium hardwood from tc. Burns well. How hot do the green supreme burn and how much ash are you getting?

When did you get your CAB50? How much have your burned this season and from what date? I have a ceiling fan behind me in this picture but I don't use it too often because I actually feel chillier in than when it's on. I've made sure its moving the air in the correct direction. Maybe that will help it to cycle better by pulling more air. I'm going to try that tonight. I want to conserve how much fuel I have and not have to buy more. I think this will be a colder winter than last year. The tstat is to the right side of our living room entrance. So it is not in direct line with the stove. stove nov30.jpg

In 28 days -- Nov. 2 to Nov. 30 -- I burned 25 bags of Greene Gold. It hasn't been horribly cold yet in Eastern, MA, however.

In 28 days -- Nov. 2 to Nov. 30 -- I burned 25 bags of Greene Gold. It hasn't been horribly cold yet in Eastern, MA, however.
How much do you burn in a normal season? How many sq ft are you heating? Are you running 24/7 without cycling? I have burned 28 bags since Oct 24.

How much do you burn in a normal season? How many sq ft are you heating? Are you running 24/7 without cycling? I have burned 28 bags since Oct 24.
It's hard to say as I started in the middle of the season last year. Keeping better track this year. I too have a 2-story 1500-1700 square foot house. I run it 24 hours but it has cycled off when I lower the thermostat. Sometimes I've really cranked it. So we'll see how it all averages out. It's an old 1928 house that I've been working on -- adding insulation in the attic, weathersealing doors and windows, etc. We'll see. I'm content so far, however.

It's hard to say as I started in the middle of the season last year. Keeping better track this year. I too have a 2-story 1500-1700 square foot house. I run it 24 hours but it has cycled off when I lower the thermostat. Sometimes I've really cranked it. So we'll see how it all averages out. It's an old 1928 house that I've been working on -- adding insulation in the attic, weathersealing doors and windows, etc. We'll see. I'm content so far, however.
I'm hoping to only use 3 ton but think I may need to get another. Our house built in 1953. Just want it to stay a steady temp. Working on the thermostat that I have. Little finicky but so far so good. Didn't cycle off last night at all due to the house didn't get to shut off temp. High 20's I'm thinking of just running 24/7 without cycling.

80 since Oct 1, between 2 stoves. We have been getting into the low 20's here at night. About 1.3 bags a day. Or .66 bags a day per stove.

Reactions: DexterDay
80 since Oct 1, between 2 stoves. We have been getting into the low 20's here at night.

Holy Crap!!! How big of a place are you heating?

I'm hoping to only use 3 ton but think I may need to get another. Our house built in 1953. Just want it to stay a steady temp. Working on the thermostat that I have. Little finicky but so far so good. Didn't cycle off last night at all due to the house didn't get to shut off temp. High 20's I'm thinking of just running 24/7 without cycling.

I personally think that is best, saves the life of the stove and parts like igniters and such. Much more even temp IMHO.

Holy Crap!!! How big of a place are you heating?

That's only a little more that half a bag each per stove for 60days....You think that is alot?

I personally think that is best, saves the life of the stove and parts like igniters and such. Much more even temp IMHO.
I get 20-22 hours out of one bag running without shut off. I'm thinking it is best too. The temp stays more consistent. I also think the stove besides consistently running, the stove stays hotter. Currently medium with feed just about as low as you can go. 80 Bags since Oct 1 for 2 stoves. That sounds good to me. My goal is to use a bag a day but if I want to keep it running 24/7 then I will need more. 3 days coming up with temps during the day in the 50's so that will save me a bag or 2.

Also with my placement of the tstat, at night it doesn't turn off because its colder out at night, so it keeps it comfortable but not high enough with a 2 degree swing both ways to trigger it off unless I run on high or open my feed all the way. Slow and steady I like the temp. I just don't like burning through my fuel. I just think this year is going to be colder than last.

What is your pref for burning? Softwood, Hardwood, or mix? Which do you think produces more heat?

Yea I have gas as a back up but I cringe when I turn it on. I also like it warm, my thermometer stays at a constant 78 degrees, My basement stove is the primary right now with the den running just to take the chill off. In all reality I could run things a bit cooler and save some pellets but I like it warm and to reheat the floors and the hose takes twice as long and uses that much more pellets than just leaving it run at 3/6 setting.

If I can keep the same numbers with temps out side in teens and single digits ill be a happy camper, but I think ill be in the 2 bags a day range IMHO. Which is OK with me it still beats fuel costs and is a hell of a lot cleaner than wood, which makes my Wife happy which in turn makes me happy.

I tend to agree with the temps being colder this year, the old timers around me say little snow and low temps???!!!

We need the snow for the slopes get the people here to spend some money!!!

Maybe about 40-50 bags since the beginning if October. No oil. Heating 1600 ft. 80's downstairs, mid to high 70's upstairs.

That's only a little more that half a bag each per stove for 60days....You think that is alot?

Yea I have gas as a back up but I cringe when I turn it on. I also like it warm, my thermometer stays at a constant 78 degrees, My basement stove is the primary right now with the den running just to take the chill off. In all reality I could run things a bit cooler and save some pellets but I like it warm and to reheat the floors and the hose takes twice as long and uses that much more pellets than just leaving it run at 3/6 setting.

If I can keep the same numbers with temps out side in teens and single digits ill be a happy camper, but I think ill be in the 2 bags a day range IMHO. Which is OK with me it still beats fuel costs and is a hell of a lot cleaner than wood, which makes my Wife happy which in turn makes me happy.

I tend to agree with the temps being colder this year, the old timers around me say little snow and low temps???!!!

All that said, I see why you're at the 80 bag level. If you (and the missus) are happy, that's all that matters.

And speaking of 2 bags a day, I'm going to be close to that today. It was 17 this AM at 5 with a 12 MPH wind out of the north. It's 17 right now with a 7 MPH wind out of the north. It's a toasty 73.4 in here right now, but I need to add another bag to get though the night. Not quite a 2 bag day but 1.5 at least.

Reactions: openat60
good to know the average useage but really. dont sweat how much you use just think of how much it would cost to heat your house to 74 .with oil or propane
With that said my answer is however many it takes ;)

Exactly. The thermostat wouldn't go higher than 70-72 if I was using oil.

good to know the average useage but really. dont sweat how much you use just think of how much it would cost to heat your house to 74 .with oil or propane
With that said my answer is however many it takes ;)

I totally agree, but for some reason i am programmed to figured everything out!!! And make sure i am not being wasteful!!

Where's the dead center of the Catskills?

Number 3 of 6 settings? I have low med and high and then the adjustment of the feed. Currently almost low feed as you can go as I said and med. Just going to keep it running. Especially the next 2 days. Full clean on Sunday. My first year. Love the pellet heat. My family too. High 70's upstairs and low 70's downstairs. Have to figure what works best for the house and the stove etc.

I totally agree, but for some reason i am programmed to figured everything out!!! And make sure i am not being wasteful!!
We totally are programmed to save save save. Now we are and it's warmer we just are still programmed and have to remember like said already. If using oil would be way more expensive!

Status
Not open for further replies.