So how much have you burned this season so far?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Started burning in Sept some cold nites, Oct,Nov, Dec 1 Ton not 1 drop fuel oil yet.

Dec 1 I was right at a ton. Burned another 11 bags since then.

Ejectr I am only heating 1400 sq feet of a house that was insulated to Canadian standards. I also face east and get sun in through the windows most of the day. I will admit that the furnace is also heating my basement to 60 - 65. I think I fired her up right around the same time you did maybe a week later.
Oh....thought you were heating like 4500 sq ft.

Bag #51 into the hopper this morning, deep clean tomorrow, exhaust pipe, blowers, supposed to be sunny in the 40's

Ash build up in a 1200??? No way!! How tall is his vent? Is it 3" or 4" liner?

Oh and Green Supremes are a shoulder pellet at best. Do a search up top. Not very many good reviews. Not many at all.......

Im at 26 bags. Have not burned much this week. Been quite warm actually.
Evening.. Ok.. here is a few pictures and the last time it was cleaned out was Thursday night. IMG_0166.JPGIMG_0170.JPGIMG_0159.JPGIMG_0164.JPG
This picture above. The light colored ash shows how thick it is. The ash pan above is how much we took out since Thursday.. I got a 1/5 of that and not caked on ash in my firepot. I also have had 2 nuisance shutdowns today where the stove stops feeding which I believe is because there isn't enough fuel being dropped which is weird because it worked fine all last night and into today before I shut it down for awhile.. It was really mild today. The picture of the door and all the ash/soot on it. believe there may be an air leak there with the corner where it was welded.. My dad is going to tighten the door locks to see if it helps. He has used 9 bags in less than a week. Not good for this time of the year with having a few mild days. Did the dollar bill test and really tight on top and sides but on the bottom in the center it was less. He'll work on that. Any idea about the ash buildup?... Anyone?

Just got my Cumberland hooked up in the new house!
Dmped my 5th bag into the hopper last night before I left for work

I'm on my 3rd bag. Only been below freezing 5 nites so far.

Ash build up in a 1200??? No way!! How tall is his vent? Is it 3" or 4" liner?

Oh and Green Supremes are a shoulder pellet at best. Do a search up top. Not very many good reviews. Not many at all.......

Im at 26 bags. Have not burned much this week. Been quite warm actually.
Hi DexterDay... Got any insight for me? Friend of mine told me the stove is not getting ENOUGH air and that's why the buildup of crust. Getting it with made in maine pellets from TC. But the ash is a little finer with the maine pellets. But still crusting. Is there a way to adjust the air intake on the classic bay insert to give it more? He has lowered the feed as low as he can because he is afraid of a hopper fire. He has gotten some high flames even with the feed low and on low or medium.

So far 35 bags. Just cleaned stove & vent pipe. Using up the PA pellets I have.. 50 here today and next few days then cold again, 30's

About 55 bags of new england so far. Had a few bags from last year leftover. About 6 bags left before I finish the first ton of the 3 I bought this Fall.

Just put a ton in today, started 10/15... So far I'm doing 1-1.5 bags a day.

Evening.. Ok.. here is a few pictures and the last time it was cleaned out was Thursday night.View attachment 84347View attachment 84348View attachment 84349View attachment 84346
This picture above. The light colored ash shows how thick it is. The ash pan above is how much we took out since Thursday.. I got a 1/5 of that and not caked on ash in my firepot. I also have had 2 nuisance shutdowns today where the stove stops feeding which I believe is because there isn't enough fuel being dropped which is weird because it worked fine all last night and into today before I shut it down for awhile.. It was really mild today. The picture of the door and all the ash/soot on it. believe there may be an air leak there with the corner where it was welded.. My dad is going to tighten the door locks to see if it helps. He has used 9 bags in less than a week. Not good for this time of the year with having a few mild days. Did the dollar bill test and really tight on top and sides but on the bottom in the center it was less. He'll work on that. Any idea about the ash buildup?... Anyone?

Definitely an air leak somewhere. That ash is way to dark in color. Even when my door gasket was bad, I never had a mess like that?? That's crazy... !!!

Edit: pic added. This pic is after 30 bags and I have not cleaned anything yet. The ash pan isn't even visible. But the pot stays clean. The glass is filthy, ash is overflowing, and still Burns like Bag #1 :)

Your father has a significant air leak. By significant I mean HUGE. Ash should vary from a very light grey/white to grey. That very dark color is incomplete combustion.

2012-12-12_19-02-30_707.jpg

about 50 thus far. I have to go for a run to get another 2 tons in the next 3 weeks. I will be gone for the Michigan Department of Corrections training academy for 2 months. Only will be home Friday/Saturday nights.

I started burning in Aug. and I just dumped number 40 in today. Just a guess since it is staying at the -15-20 below I will start eatting the pellets.

Definitely an air leak somewhere. That ash is way to dark in color. Even when my door gasket was bad, I never had a mess like that?? That's crazy... !!!

Edit: pic added. This pic is after 30 bags and I have not cleaned anything yet. The ash pan isn't even visible. But the pot stays clean. The glass is filthy, ash is overflowing, and still Burns like Bag #1 :)

Your father has a significant air leak. By significant I mean HUGE. Ash should vary from a very light grey/white to grey. That very dark color is incomplete combustion.

View attachment 85300
He has tighted the door. We did the dollar bill test and tested all areas. Only area is where I think it was finished being welded in the top right corner of the latch side of the stove. I told him to check the bolts around the burnpot to make sure they are tight but to be careful because they tend to break from what I've read. Any other suggestions? How do I check the exhaust gasket? It's an insert and I was not there during installation.

Status
Not open for further replies.