So I bought a house with a wood stove.....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

crowbar032

Oct 10, 2018
Southeast Indiana
...and I'm a rookie. There is a gas furnace available, but the previous owner used the stove as his primary heat and wanted to take the stove when he moves. The stove was an insert but used as a free standing stove and located in the basement and not hooked up to the ventilation system. I'm now left with no stove, a functioning chimney, and a girlfriend who wants to burn wood. My girlfriend and I both commute about an hour for work and will be gone 10 hours a day. Is there a stove that will keep a fire that long? I've looked at a specific brand that claims a burn time of longer than 10 hours, but I'd like a real world experience. I've also done some research on the outdoor wood boilers. I like the idea of a top load one that I could take the skidsteer and dump in a whole load of logs. What made you choose a wood stove over an outdoor wood boiler? My concern is letting the water freeze and how they would work if the electric goes out.

I should also mention my ability to obtain wood. I have an 80 acre farm that has plenty of available wood. Previous owner also works for a forestry company and has access to the butt ends, split logs, logs with metal, etc., that can't be used for lumber. They pay him to "clean up the yard" of all that scrap. He currently has 2 semi loads of logs at his farm waiting to be split. Obtaining more wood than I can burn will not be an issue.

Look up Blaze King stoves. Longest burning stoves on the market.

LOL...should have known this forum would guess the one I was looking at right off the bat. I inquired about a Princess. The stove, installation, and a blower was right at $4k. This is currently the direction I'm leaning. Are their burn times real world accurate?

LOL...should have known this forum would guess the one I was looking at right off the bat. I inquired about a Princess. The stove, installation, and a blower was right at $4k. This is currently the direction I'm leaning. Are their burn times real world accurate?
No,
They are much better, in my opinion !!

Reactions: crowbar032
I’ve had a ton of stoves, including an Ashford, King, and a Princess. I’m continually amazed at the burn times. Even on high it outburns my non cats!

You can also look at those soapstone stove, crazy heavy but all that stone will radiate a lot of heat after the fire dies down. Is this a sitting area in the basement, does seeing the fire matter?

You can also look at those soapstone stove, crazy heavy but all that stone will radiate a lot of heat after the fire dies down. Is this a sitting area in the basement, does seeing the fire matter?

The stove is not in a living area, so a view of the stove or fire does not matter. I've always considered myself a function over form guy. If I only have to load that thing twice a day, it can be neon green and pink.

Reactions: showrguy
Had Blaze King "King" for 7 years. Great stove. It would go all day and still keep house warm and I live in NE Wa State about 100 miles from Canada (Eha). Load it up get fire up to temp and in Zone for Cat and dial to Medium. Only downside it put out too much heat if warm outside. It would kill the fire on Low.

Reactions: crowbar032
Had Blaze King "King" for 7 years. Great stove. It would go all day and still keep house warm and I live in NE Wa State about 100 miles from Canada (Eha). Load it up get fire up to temp and in Zone for Cat and dial to Medium. Only downside it put out too much heat if warm outside. It would kill the fire on Low.

Sounds like I'll still need the gas furnace setup for late spring and early fall slightly chilly days.

The stove was an insert but used as a free standing stove and located in the basement

this right here sets off little red flags for me, get your chimney inspected by a pro before you hook anything up to it. also any stove you get is going to need dry wood if you're planning on putting it in now and burning stuff you cut yourself prepare to be thoroughly disappointing

this right here sets off little red flags for me, get your chimney inspected by a pro before you hook anything up to it. also any stove you get is going to need dry wood if you're planning on putting it in now and burning stuff you cut yourself prepare to be thoroughly disappointing

Yes, I agree on inspection but I 100% truly believe there won't be an issue. Since there is no time to cut/split/season wood this year, it is a next year project. I thought I might find a deal on a floor model or previous year model so I'm looking now.

How is the piping? any 90's? T's, Horizontal runs? How many total feet? You may need to add pipe for better draft...

If I had a basement stove and wanted to burn 24/7, it would be a Blaze King Princess or King. But since I need a focal point to a room and have to look at it every day, I have a Woodstock Progress Hybrid.

How well do you think you can get the hot air to move upstairs?

I would absolutely get a blower on the stove. The previous owner said he never had any issue with air circulation.

Sounds like I'll still need the gas furnace setup for late spring and early fall slightly chilly days.
Not necessarily true. Every install is unique. Plenty of BK burners can burn on low.

So I finally got possession of the house and thought I'd post an update. The previous owner graciously left the insert stove for a backup heat source in case of emergency. I had about half a truck bed of seasoned dry ash wood that was originally earmarked for camping. For my own morbid curiosity I've been burning the stove for the last week (and trying to conserve the 5% remaining propane since the delivery guy hasn't come yet). I've got to say I'm surprised how well the house is heated and how even the heat is throughout. Once we got the front dampers dialed in a fire lasts 8 hours through the night with enough coals to left to easily restart in the morning. Granted it hasn't been super cold with lows around 20F at night and upper 30'sF in the day. I'm rethinking my original pick of the Blaze King Princess and it's $4k price tag. I don't think I need to go that fancy.

The classic BKs, King and Princess, are not fancy. They’re just the longest-burning stoves on the market, true function over form performers. The newer BK 20’s and 30’s are their “fancy” line.

Run what you brung, if it’s safely installed and works for you. You might want to check on the legality and safety of burning an insert as a freestander, though. @bholler?

If you do buy a stove for a basement, go for the most convective design you can find. Think BK Ashford or PE Alderlea. Exposed masonry has a way of sucking up radiated heat.

Someone above recommended Woodstock. They’re a great company and they make good stoves, but most of their products would be awful for a basement install, because they’re generally designed to radiate, not convect. Your insert likely works as well as it does, because inserts are generally designed to radiate as little heat as possible off five sides, and are built for mostly convective heating.

There are also wood burning furnaces that can be added to your existing lp system. They would be better at distributing the heat throughout the house and probably considerably longer burn times.