So... I cut some willow....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

crs7200

Oct 17, 2008
........ for my father-in-law. Wanted them cut down because they were right next to his well. I figured I could throw it in with the good wood and use it for the shoulder season. Well, I cut it in the late summer. Didn't expect it to be seasoned, but I also didn't expect it to be as bad as it is. I wouldn't have even bothered with it if he didn't need them down, and I figured; "Hey, It's free... right?" This stuff must take about 3 years to be considered seasoned, and the bark is so thick that it doesn't burn worth a damn!! It even has new sprouts growing out the ends of most of the logs. I could re-populate a forest just by throwing these logs into a clearing!!! All in all, a lot of work for very little if any gain. Except of course that my father-in-law doesn't have to worry about them by his well any longer. Now I know why it is at the bottom of the chart for btu's.

It is a shame that willow isn't a better firewood because it is the easiest tree to propagate - just stick a branch in moist ground and you have a new tree. As you are seeing, logs will sometimes sprout even after a long time.

I've not tried cutting or burning the standard variety of Willow, like that you'd find around a pond or along a river, but I have been burning hybred Willow that I planted about 15 years ago.

It has that Willow look, but grows more like a regular tree.
It splits easily, dries fast, and the smoke has a sweet smell.
When first cut, if not split, it will send out new sprouts, to "save" itself I suppose?
But once split and stacked, it dries quick!
It burns faster than other hardwoods, but makes a great fire starter, and is good for the shoulder season.

Rob

This is what it looks like when it is down.

ad826d24a851957f4643a503ca21cbf8dfbfc2a0.jpg

crs7200 said:
........ for my father-in-law. Wanted them cut down because they were right next to his well. I figured I could throw it in with the good wood and use it for the shoulder season. Well, I cut it in the late summer. Didn't expect it to be seasoned, but I also didn't expect it to be as bad as it is. I wouldn't have even bothered with it if he didn't need them down, and I figured; "Hey, It's free... right?" This stuff must take about 3 years to be considered seasoned, and the bark is so thick that it doesn't burn worth a damn!! It even has new sprouts growing out the ends of most of the logs. I could re-populate a forest just by throwing these logs into a clearing!!! All in all, a lot of work for very little if any gain. Except of course that my father-in-law doesn't have to worry about them by his well any longer. Now I know why it is at the bottom of the chart for btu's.

As you've found out, that willow will sprout very fast and easy. I've seen folks cut 8' logs and then plant those along a driveway or fence line. It looks like tall fence posts, but within a year or two you have a tree!

If you split the willow, it really will amaze you at how fast the stuff will dry....but don't expect a lot of heat from it. You have the right idea of shoulder season wood. So just split it, stack it where it will get lots of wind and it will be ready to burn next fall.

Status
Not open for further replies.