So my buddy at work asks if he can borrow my chainsaw....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, Ok, Ok . . .Back up the freakin' bus!!

Your ex-wife lives in the same house as you and your current wife?!?!

If you can sell your wife on that, getting her past a new $1,000 chaisaw should be a piece of cake.

:sick:

Husky 346, 353, or Dolmar 5100??

ISeeDeadBTUs said:
Ok, Ok, Ok . . .Back up the freakin' bus!!

Your ex-wife lives in the same house as you and your current wife?!?!

If you can sell your wife on that, getting her past a new $1,000 chaisaw should be a piece of cake.

:sick:

lol make it a 2000.00 chain saw not spliting hairs anymore!

Do you guys think it was MY IDEA to have my ex move in with us?!? IT was MY WIFES! Shes a good person( the best,actually,AND not kidding- used to be a model- she is BEAUTIFUL) and they REALLY like each other- AND they are both a mother to the same son. My wife will ALWAYS help someone in need. Plus -they both know what its like to have to live with ME. Alot in comman. ;-P

wood-fan-atic said:
Do you guys think it was MY IDEA to have my ex move in with us?!? IT was MY WIFES! Shes a good person( the best,actually) and they REALLY like each other- AND they are both a mother to the same son. My wife will ALWAYS help someone in need. Plus -they both know what its like to have to live with ME. Alot in comman. ;-P

I am just impressed you could pull it off! Sounds like its time to join the 120+ cc saw club!

smokinjay said:
Sounds like its time to join the 120+ cc saw club!

Or two 60cc saws and a chair to supervise from :lol:

SolarAndWood said:
smokinjay said:

two 70-80cc with a double header bar milling set up and chair!

smokinjay said:
SolarAndWood said:
smokinjay said:

Did that really take you seven minutes to come up with?

SolarAndWood said:
smokinjay said:
SolarAndWood said:
smokinjay said:

Did that really take you seven minutes to come up with?

lol know about 2 sec's

I'd buy myself a new saw.

Possibility it just died when it did and the wrong person was holding it t the time.

He wouldn't borrow the new one, but I might go over and help cut his stuff next time.
Easier to say no if he doesn't own a share of it.

Talk to your buddy and go on one of those "Judge" tv shows.

If you sue him for replacement at say $800 and win, they subtract that from
$5,000 and then you split what's left.
Even if you lose, you're ahead $2,500!
If you watch any of these "judge" shows, keep this in mind and you'll notice
friends doing it all the time.
Of course you gotta get with your bud and "Jerry Springer" it up a little bit first
so they'll want to use you guys on tv.
Turn this minor mishap into major fun and profit!

kenny chaos said:
Talk to your buddy and go on one of those "Judge" tv shows.

If you sue him for replacement at say $800 and win, they subtract that from
$5,000 and then you split what's left.
Even if you lose, you're ahead $2,500!
If you watch any of these "judge" shows, keep this in mind and you'll notice
friends doing it all the time.
Of course you gotta get with your bud and "Jerry Springer" it up a little bit first
so they'll want to use you guys on tv.
Turn this minor mishap into major fun and profit!
Kenny is on to something, all you gota do is tie in the ex-wife thing somehow and you are a shoe-in. ;-P

Kenny - your not suggesting that just b/c my wife and I let my ex live live with us- that we're worthy of 'Jerry Springer' , are you? We actually have all of our teeth, and only my CURRENT wife and I sleep together ;-P !!

I wouldn't worry about asking your buddy for anything. You don't know for sure if he gassed it wrong, he's a buddy so you know how honest he is, either he's honest and didn't put it in, or he's dishonest, you know it already, and he's still your bud so f@^* it, just leave him out of it and buy the saw you need - or maybe just rebuild the old one together over some beverages. Pretty sure a new saw isn't worth a relationship. (Well, actually that depends on the saw I suppose...).

Ok, heres how its going. He brought me in his dads 42cc craftsman 18". Its not starting, so I had him drop it off for a tune -up. Im going to use it in a pinch, until christmas (6 weeks) when I'll have family chip in and buy me a 50cc ripper ( husky or stihl ). Then I'll give him his tuned up saw back........if its still runnin', that is! ;-P

IMO, if he's willing to pay you $100, then you're probably good. You can pick up used saws for $150-200 that are way better than a 142e. Look on the bright side... now you can upgrade to the upcoming 555...

Ya know, a piston kit is only about $25-$30 bucks, it may be all you need to repair it.
Might be a good project.

WES999- that isnt a bad idea.....I'll chech online and see if I can find one for my saw. I guess I couldnt make it any WORSE, right?

From all your posts in the Wood shed about scrounging scores it sounds like you wont be needing a saw for quite a while. Get that splitter humming,

As for the saw.... sounds to me like bad luck and your buddy was real up front with you about it. I would have to be pretty hard up money wise to accept any from a friend in this situation. A suggestion, ask him to help you one afternoon splitting and stacking your big score. You will appreciate help, get a lot more done than doing it alone and its fun working with a friend.

Got Wood said:
From all your posts in the Wood shed about scrounging scores it sounds like you wont be needing a saw for quite a while. Get that splitter humming,

As for the saw.... sounds to me like bad luck and your buddy was real up front with you about it. I would have to be pretty hard up money wise to accept any from a friend in this situation. A suggestion, ask him to help you one afternoon splitting and stacking your big score. You will appreciate help, get a lot more done than doing it alone and its fun working with a friend.

+1 - Sounds like your need for a new saw and your friendship are separate topics. Prob. best to keep it that way. As someone mentioned, piston kit is cheap; maybe buy a good new saw for XMAS and then order the piston as a project. If it works then sell it and buy something for the family chat chipped in for the new saw.

Situation resolved. New saw -$360. Buddy insisted kicking in $100 toward either new saw or fixing broken one. Parts for new saw+shipping=$100ish. I'll try to fix the broken one, but in the meantime, I bought a new saw - and.... wait for it.....I was able to fix HIS original saw that didnt work - neccessitating the borrowing of MINE in the first place. I guess , in the end, all were inconvenienced, but came out a bit poorer but with something to show for it.This has been a stressful week. :grrr:

Stihl ms 290. Shes got guts. :coolgrin:

wood-fan-atic said:
Stihl ms 290. Shes got guts. :coolgrin:
Nice saw. Thanks for saving us from the "which saw?" conversation that generally doesn't really ever convince anybody of anything and just makes everything more confusinjg. I don't think anyone here will expect you to be disappointed by your choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.