So........ the neighbor lady called me today: $3.18 for oil

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My aunt lives in Holden Ma and was hit pretty hard, got to hear alot about this...

Wood could only be removed by authorized forestry personnel due to the Asian Longhorned Beetle irradication program and people were not allowed to have it for the same reason

Between $3.50 to $4.50 (for #1) here on the road system, then many places have delivery cost added on.
(clear or yellow, add 8 cents.)
Fly in add about $2.25 to $5.00 depending on distance.
Other variables, cost of building/maintaining an ice road.
River access communities usually fill up in the Fall by barge, while the river is open.
Others wait for January/Feb so it can be delivered over an ice road.
Some have no choice but fly in buy fuel tankers,
That was the case, remote camp I worked at, "fly in" fuel only (We had to add the red dye), well, fly in everything.
(even D-7s & 966 loaders were flown in, winter only, runway had to be frozen)
(Fuel price goes up, delivery price goes up)

Holy cow bogydave . . . makes the $3.18 for heating oil here in Maine look like a steal . . . although I don't tend to fill up the oil tank until the summer . . . and truth be told I didn't even bother doing so this past summer since I still had 3/4 of a tank of oil left over from the year before.

If you think the price is bad now, just wait. Toward the end of last week, oil went up over $3 a barrel just because of the turmoil in Egypt. Personally, I think the oil companies just look for a reason to justify price gouging.

Where are those prices at?

bogydave said:
Between $3.50 to $4.50 (for #1) here on the road system, then many places have delivery cost added on.
(clear or yellow, add 8 cents.)
Fly in add about $2.25 to $5.00 depending on distance.
Other variables, cost of building/maintaining an ice road.
River access communities usually fill up in the Fall by barge, while the river is open.
Others wait for January/Feb so it can be delivered over an ice road.
Some have no choice but fly in buy fuel tankers,
That was the case, remote camp I worked at, "fly in" fuel only (We had to add the red dye), well, fly in everything.
(even D-7s & 966 loaders were flown in, winter only, runway had to be frozen)
(Fuel price goes up, delivery price goes up)

Just bought 165 gals yesterday and it's down to $3.14 now. Would have got more but that was all they had left in their tank... a tank that I'd guess is close to 10,000 gallons.

Just got 195 gallons here at $3.30 /gallon.
My wife wonders why sometimes I sleep on the couch at night to feed the stove at 3:00am

daveswoodhauler said:
My wife wonders why sometimes I sleep on the couch at night to feed the stove at 3:00am
Souds like you need a stove that can have an overnight burn! ;-P

VCBurner said:
daveswoodhauler said:

Yup, I know :)
Problem is my fireplace is the smallest fireplace known to man and will only allow the smallest of inserts.
Was going to upgrade to a larger wood stove and build out the hearth, but know the mrs's want to turn that room into a dining room.
Lots of snow this year, eh neighbor?

Backwoods Savage said:
Hogwildz said:
For fear of more & more folks switching to heating with wood, making the demand for things including wood higher. I don't talk about it with anyone but my family and here.
Once everyone jumps aboard anything, it goes to hell.

I recall back in the 70's thinking the same thoughts. We lived in an area where lots of folks already had wood heat but there were so many buying wood stoves and I wondered what the wood supply might be like in a few years. For sure the first year or two the fence rows and ditches would be cleaned out but what then? Well, what then turned out to be the wood stoves being put out in barns and sheds for many folks.

Around here we could really stand a huge increase in wood burning just to clean up all the dead and dieing trees. But, it won't happen simply because it is so much work. So people start buying wood and we all know that is a losing proposition. Hard to light fires, creosote, etc., etc. It ends up being a pain for most folks and in the end they aren't saving any dollars so they keep on buying gas and oil.

So, I worry not about the future supply of wood or wood burning related things.

I'm not much worried about it either, Dennis. I just wish I could move some of this wood up to y'all who need it. I'll for sure never burn it all!

Oil is $3.64 by me this week.... I havnt gotten an oil delivery all winter (company came and topped off tank end of Aug.,I think. I still have 3/4 of a tank (only heat water with boiler).....I put a lock on the gate so they cant 'surprise' me with a delivery at peak prices.

daveswoodhauler said:
VCBurner said:
daveswoodhauler said:

Yup, I know :)
Problem is my fireplace is the smallest fireplace known to man and will only allow the smallest of inserts.
Was going to upgrade to a larger wood stove and build out the hearth, but know the mrs's want to turn that room into a dining room.
Lots of snow this year, eh neighbor?

I hear that Dave! I had to rake the roof yesterday, the stink pipes were barried by the snow. I also had to dig out the mailbox a few times by now. I haven't seen this much snow around here in a long time. There was a lot back in the Winter of 02-03, but I don't know if it was as much. I used to live on the Cape before that, so these are the only ones that stick out to me here. Down there it would snow a bit and then usually melt fairly quickly, not here. Oh no, not here. My wife was against bringing our stove into the livingroom, but I was able to convince her to let me do it. We've saved so much money in fuel with the stove. Since bringing it upstairs we've saved on wood consumption and it has been so much warmer!!! The overnight burns are awesome. We get at least 8-9 hours between reloads with the house staying above 68f. Even with the below zero temps we just had.

Our bank was closed today, and Walmart, yes, Walmart in Leicester was even closed. The kids will be going to school 'til August, and the wife will be going out of her mind if we have any more snow days!! Take care,

Chris

Shari said:
I'm pretty sure she would not get into burning wood as she has already said it's too much work(!) for her.

We live in kind of an unusual neighborhood, 85 & 70 yr. old window ladies, 72 yr. old divorced lady, two 70+ yr. old widowers and one couple (husband retired). So, what I'm saying is there's not a lot of young eagerness here to want to try something new. Ha! What am I talking about - I'm not young either! :)

Sounds like a soap opera in the making!

Status
Not open for further replies.