So they say burn one hot fire per month? LOL with pic

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Touching on a couple comments above - i burned for 20 years with a stove connected directly to a brick chimney and it worked great. I installed a SS liner this fall and it works way better - more heat, less wood, better draft.

Old timers around here alway say to have a hot fire when you get out of bed and another right before going to bed - to keep the chimney clean. As you might expect, old timers = old stoves.

Touching on a couple comments above - i burned for 20 years with a stove connected directly to a brick chimney and it worked great. I installed a SS liner this fall and it works way better - more heat, less wood, better draft.

Old timers around here alway say to have a hot fire when you get out of bed and another right before going to bed - to keep the chimney clean. As you might expect, old timers = old stoves.
Not sure you know what you are talking about, the old timers on here have new stoves, I have a hot fire in the morning to get the house warm, why do you burn wood?

Not sure you know what you are talking about, the old timers on here have new stoves, I have a hot fire in the morning to get the house warm, why do you burn wood?

Not sure what you mean, but i certainly i did not mean to offend or stero type. Just refering to some of the"old timey" wisdom you recieve talking to folks that live way out in the sticks around here. Geeez.

It's all good !

You've been burning for 3 weeks or more. You've burned less than premium wood, and you've most likely burned cooler than you should. The top of your flue tile appears black. I've posted in your threads a few times already that you should inspect your chimney for creosote, in fact, your stove manual indicates you should do so. I even posted the clip from your stove manual in a previous thread of yours.

Have you inspected your chimney since you started burning?

This is a snippet of what I posted in one of your earlier threads....

"Check early and check often for creosote, my gut tells me you may already have some.

A chimney fire is no fun.

And remove the wood shelf, it's combustible, and my bet is that it's proximity to that stove pipe is not up to code"

From what I believe to be your stove's manual:

F. Creosote

Creosote – Formation and Need for Removal When wood is burned slowly, it produces tar and other organic vapors,
which combine with expelled moisture to form creosote. The creosote vapors condense in the relatively cool chimney flue of a slow-burning fire.
As a result, creosote residue accumulates on the flue lining. When ignited, this creosote makes an extremely hot fire. The chimney connector
and chimney should be inspected at least twice monthly during the heating season to determine if a creosote buildup has occurred. If creosote has
accumulated it should be removed to reduce the risk of a chimney fire.

Not sure what you mean, but i certainly i did not mean to offend or stero type. Just refering to some of the"old timey" wisdom you recieve talking to folks that live way out in the sticks around here. Geeez.
Ok my bad, when you said around here I thought you ment this forum, we have a few of those types too altough I dont talk to them about wood burning much, one of them does think dry wood burns up to quick and another thinks the wood is rotten after a couple of years. I was not offened just trying to get the facts straight.

You've been burning for 3 weeks or more. You've burned less than premium wood, and you've most likely burned cooler than you should. The top of your flue tile appears black. I've posted in your threads a few times already that you should inspect your chimney for creosote, in fact, your stove manual indicates you should do so. I even posted the clip from your stove manual in a previous thread of yours.

Have you inspected your chimney since you started burning?

yes, I did last week. Its dark but its not built up or crusty.

yes, I did last week. Its dark but its not built up or crusty.

Good! You can surely burn right the way you are into that chimney. Most would agree that a stainless liner would improve your system. Just keep an eye on that creosote formation, cuz my guess is you're gonna get it/have it.

I did, with a setup like yours, and an epa rated stove.

Until I lined with stainless, and insulated. Now I have no creosote, and sweep the liner every other year ;)

I never had any problems with my clay liner with creosote, not sure why one would if you burn correctly (flue temps) thats what causes creosote.

Good! You can surely burn right the way you are into that chimney. Most would agree that a stainless liner would improve your system. Just keep an eye on that creosote formation, cuz my guess is you're gonna get it/have it.

I did, with a setup like yours, and an epa rated stove.

Until I lined with stainless, and insulated. Now I have no creosote, and sweep the liner every other year ;)

just how much would it cost to have a SS liner installed professionally???

I don't know exactly and there are a lot of factors, but it would probably be in the $2,000 range.

Personally, I would focus on getting my wood together and see how things go when you are burning better wood. If you have sufficient draft and your clay is sound (e.g. no cracks), I wouldn't go for the expense. You have an interior chimney so having a insulated liner is not a must, and you wouldn't be able to get much insulation around a 6" liner anyway unless you break out the clay tiles. So, the main benefit would be reducing the flue cross-section to the "appropriate" size. If your existing chimney is drafting fine, the marginal benefit you might see from going to a 6" liner is not worth the cost, IMO.

Do check your chimney often burning that wood!

Disclaimer: I have a 6" outlet stove into a 7X7 clay, interior, tall chimney and have no problems with creosote, poor draft, etc.

Reactions: CHeath
I don't know exactly and there are a lot of factors, but it would probably be in the $2,000 range.

Personally, I would focus on getting my wood together and see how things go when you are burning better wood. If you have sufficient draft and your clay is sound (e.g. no cracks), I wouldn't go for the expense. You have an interior chimney so having a insulated liner is not a must, and you wouldn't be able to get much insulation around a 6" liner anyway unless you break out the clay tiles. So, the main benefit would be reducing the flue cross-section to the "appropriate" size. If your existing chimney is drafting fine, the marginal benefit you might see from going to a 6" liner is not worth the cost, IMO.

Disclaimer: I have a 6" outlet stove into a 7X7 clay, interior, tall chimney and have no problems with creosote, poor draft, etc.

Im for sure going to get my act together for next burn season. Ill sweep it after this season. There is buildup but its not "built" up. the liner is dark but you have to expect it to turn colors. My flue is also 6" into a 7x7 clay square. Im gonna roll it and use alot of caution. Thanks alot.

True what Waulie says. My concern is/was that a guy starts out learning, burns too cool with unseasoned wood for a couple weeks, builds up some creosote, then reads on the interwebs that he should burn HOT 2x a day, and ignites the flue.

If you're gonna burn HOT once or twice a day then make sure you have a clean flue prior to starting that process. Burning at 300 degrees for a couple weeks, forming creosote, then running the stack up to say 500 or 600 is probably not the smartest thing to do ;)

I think you're good Heath, you just want to make sure you check that chimney, get a good LED flashlight and looky down there regular til you get comfortable with your system, if you see shiny stuff clingin' to the walls of that flue tile it ain't good.

just how much would it cost to have a SS liner installed professionally???

I had it done for $1800 but that was 8 years ago now. I don't think you necessarily need one, I haven't noticed a major difference with mine. Over time, the clay liners usually will crack. Mine had been used by previous owners of the house for 30 years. If yours hasn't been used I'd say you're pretty good. If I were in your position, I'd get drier wood for next year, keep checking the flue, and put off any plans for a SS liner for now. Just my opinion, probably worth what you paid for it:)

Reactions: CHeath
Who said I was burning hot to clean my chimney?????????????? lol

"They" say to. We have no idea what kinds of things "they" are telling you. That's a very common one. Far too common.

I'd keep a sharp eye on the area where the smoke enters your chimney at and just above the masonry thimble.

Status
Not open for further replies.