Soaked Firewood!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I live in Seattle, and I always think it's a little strange to build a house for your car, let alone for your wood. One of the benefits of a moderate climate.

From my perspective as a climate scientist who studies the water cycle, I see many adverse impacts to the trend toward more extreme precipitation in wet areas, like the NE US. Risks outweigh benefits. Good to know that folks here see their wood drying out with a bit of extra care.

Reactions: weatherguy
Minor point: The deluges has been just as extreme over past 3 or so months. Probably more so than summer.

Here's a good summary of year for parts of the eastern US from The Weather Channel.

https://weather.com/news/news/2018-12-15-record-wet-year-2018-washington-dc-baltimore[/QUOTE
I've never seen anything like this before, just a consistent rain storm every 3-4 days, I starting to notice an uptick in chimney fire & my stove wont put out enough heat threads, a lot of it is our fuel is to wet from a poor seasoning summer.

Yes, 2018 sucks so far in the NE because of all this chitty wet weather.

We ended one of the only stretches of dry, yesterday. About 9 days. I think we put up enough dry wood to get us through mid-January, fully tarped next to the house and in carts.

Even the top covered stacks got soaked again because of the strong wind out of the east that blew the wet deep into the stacks.

If you got 5 feet of snow in one month like we did in 2015 you'd see why we like houses for our cars and firewood, and a good size snowblower.

My sister lives your way.. sent me pictures of the neighbors sledding off the second-story roof, people needed to shovel the rooves that year because they were caving in.. if i remember correctly some people died in an acme when the roof caved in..

We ended one of the only stretches of dry, yesterday. About 9 days. I think we put up enough dry wood to get us through mid-January, fully tarped next to the house and in carts.

Even the top covered stacks got soaked again because of the strong wind out of the east that blew the wet deep into the stacks.

The wind is blowing here and its been raining for the past 2 days.. my neighbor is so far behind and is trying to get ahead that he been processing in this weather.. been out there all weekend.. just by himself.. he get no help

All my wood is exposed, can't keep tarps on any thing due to wind, It has been such a humid summer and then so wet this fall that 3-4 year old splits are reading 25% internal. I can feel the moisture just from the friction of the bandsaw blade ( some of it is split a little too long for the stove ), so I have some stacked in the garage that is coming along ok And some in basement with a fan on it and a dehumidfier running down there. I do not have a good place up stairs to keep a couple days worth on hand. looking into getting one of those Conex shipping containers- a because I need equipment storage area until I can get the out building built and then that might be converted to Solar Kiln or at least part of it next summer. Would have got the conex sooner but things are so muddy that the truck with conex might get stuck. Ground now is froze about 6" down but due to the flip flop weather the first 6" down is just mush. Lot of corn still standing around me for the same reason.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
All my wood is exposed, can't keep tarps on any thing due to wind, It has been such a humid summer and then so wet this fall that 3-4 year old splits are reading 25% internal. I can feel the moisture just from the friction of the bandsaw blade ( some of it is split a little too long for the stove ), so I have some stacked in the garage that is coming along ok And some in basement with a fan on it and a dehumidfier running down there. I do not have a good place up stairs to keep a couple days worth on hand. looking into getting one of those Conex shipping containers- a because I need equipment storage area until I can get the out building built and then that might be converted to Solar Kiln or at least part of it next summer. Would have got the conex sooner but things are so muddy that the truck with conex might get stuck. Ground now is froze about 6" down but due to the flip flop weather the first 6" down is just mush. Lot of corn still standing around me for the same reason.
Great idea. I'd love a shipping container.

What length, size are you thinking?

My sister lives your way.. sent me pictures of the neighbors sledding off the second-story roof, people needed to shovel the rooves that year because they were caving in.. if i remember correctly some people died in an acme when the roof caved in..
There were a few cave ins, ironically the coast had more snow than I did 50 miles inland, it's usually the other way around. I posted some pics when we had that deep snow pack, cars were buried, it was a fun month.

I tarp and rope my wood. The tarp overlaps the top foot and is anchored down in the winter especially on my oak stash.
I have three staging areas.
One at the side of my house, one on my deck I’m building and a smaller one near my fire place.

In the summer I’m going to open it up and let it breath more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We didn't have 9 days here. Had 3" rain last Saturday 5 days ago. Kevin

We didn't have 9 days here. Had 3" rain last Saturday 5 days ago. Kevin
Well, back to the wet. More soaking rain. On the plus side, it's 60°. It's so wet and humid, even the covered wood is picking up moisture.