Softwood vs. hardwood seasoning time

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PDXpyro

Burning Hunk
Oct 10, 2013
NW Oregon
It's commonly stated that softwood can be properly seasoned in "half the time" that hardwood requires, but perhaps the difference is even more extreme.

For example, chunky Douglas fir splits, springtime-stacked in a good sun/wind exposure, can easily reach the 'teens moisture-wise in four or five months, here in the PNW. However, I've observed that similarly split and stacked oak might very well still register mid-twenties -- or higher -- after a full year!

Sure, oak is a notorious example, but other dense hardwoods I've checked aren't much faster, and even a relatively soft hardwood such as our local bigleaf maple (which has a seasoned density very close to that of Doug fir), takes much more than "twice as long" to reach suitable moisture content.

First thing I'd tell a noob trying to accumulate a stash is to get a year's worth of softies first, then work long-term after that.

Pretty much yeah.

A 3 year soft wood plan ain't a 3 year drying plan.

Absolutely, get soft wood together first, and lots of it. Meanwhile, stack hardwood separate and give it 2 or 3(preferred) years to season! That's what I did when I made the switch to a newer EPA stove after burning 30 years the old way!

Reactions: Fred Wright
I was amazed at how fast softer woods season. I have had white ash stacked since April of this year and it is still registering around 26% moisture (I split it big)

I cut a Norway Spruce down in July and stacked it at the end of that month. Now measuring 14% on a fresh split.

The thing that amazed me the most:
Black Cherry C/S/S on August 18th of this year, stacked single row in sun and wind is now measuring 21% on a fresh split. I'm amazed at how fast that cherry seasoned. I would have never even thought that wood would be anywhere near burnable unless I checked it with a moisture meter - love that thing.

upload_2014-9-26_9-54-42.png

upload_2014-9-26_9-55-8.png

Yup, red maple is a good example of this. And it's plentiful. It will be ready to burn 6 months or so after stacking if you don't make your splits too large.

Burned about half a cord of 7-month-old red last winter. Broken tree tops that were laying in the woods. The splits were already shedding bark a few months after stacking.

Status
Not open for further replies.