solar wood shed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

dan the man

Mar 11, 2017
minnesota
So I have looked at some solar wood shed plans, and have a question. Are sealed up other than a vent at the bottom and top to let the air out?

The only way a shed will work worth a damn is if you can let cool air come in, and release warmer (moisture filled) air out the top. These sheds should work based on natural convection (and will only work better if you can install a fan or some sort of forced air movement).

I actually wonder if anyone has ever converted a steel sea trailer into a large drying 'shed'. Think about how hot those things get in the summer being made of all metal... just cut appropriate venting on both sides, and nature should do the rest (again, unless you can add a fan to pull).

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
I like the euro kiln concept, think green house like 15ft wide by 40ft long, arch shape. smaller in height in the middle, higher in height at the ends, creates nature convection and air movement

I have an existing shed that gets pretty hot in the summer also. Just looking to speed things up a bit. Might do windows on south side of new wood shed. With venting down low and vents on ridge.

I think it depends on your climate and soil.

I am on a layer of river deposited silt, 20 some feet thick. My soil holds a LOT of water, having a layer of plastic vapor barrier in my floors is probaly where most of my results came from.

My advice would be build it passive with some idea where you would put fans in the future, run it a summer to see if you need he fans...